2014 Ski-Doo Snowcheck 4yr BTB

Megrizzly

Reaction score
So Ski-Doo is offering a 4 year, bumper to bumper warranty if you snowcheck a new summit or freeride. Anybody know the fine print to this? Do you have to take it in and get it serviced every year to keep it valid? Is the warranty "up" if they put more money into the sled than what its worth?

With new sleds being so unpredictable, its really attractive to see something like this. For someone like myself who will keep the sled for at least 3 years and put over 5-6 thousand miles, I can count on the motor blowing. I can handle a new top end or so, but every 800 etec that i know went down needed a new drop in.

Would you own a 800 etec off waranty with over 4-5000 miles?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
5000 miles is when I would be throwing a short block in ANY 2 stroke snowmobile. So yes this 4yr warranty is very interesting if it doesn't have a mileage limit.

Megrizzly

Reaction score
From what I was reading on Ski-Doo's website, there is no mileage limit. I am more concerned if there is a limit on how much they will put into a sled. A good friend purchased a 600 rmk with a 4 year extended warranty. In 2 years, it went through 4 engines and because they put more $$$ into the sled than what it was worth that the warranty was done.

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it is probably pretty rare that more money was spent on warranty repairs than the actual cost of the unit. If this was my concern with warranty i would buy something else because their would defineatly be a major problem with sled design.
And BTW 200 posts for me, only took 5 1/2 years. lol

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I was reading on Ski-Doo's website, there is no mileage limit. I am more concerned if there is a limit on how much they will put into a sled. A good friend purchased a 600 rmk with a 4 year extended warranty. In 2 years, it went through 4 engines and because they put more $$$ into the sled than what it was worth that the warranty was done.

All the warranty in the world isn't going to make me keep a sled after the 2nd engine goes.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
In my mind, that warranty is just an attractive re-sale benefit. I keep a sled for 1 year because after the second year there would be too many miles on it to get any resale value out of it.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All the warranty in the world isn't going to make me keep a sled after the 2nd engine goes.

As with a few outspoken vocal other Doo flag wavers, we are all quite sure Cat or Poo could offer a 5 or 7 or 10 year warranty.."......... You would still be banging your Doo drum, so you may see some doubt in your audience from time to time regarding your opinion.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WTF? Get lost troll!! LMAO!

As with a few outspoken vocal other Doo flag wavers, we are all quite sure Cat or Poo could offer a 5 or 7 or 10 year warranty.."......... You would still be banging your Doo drum, so you may see some doubt in your audience from time to time regarding your opinion.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In my mind, that warranty is just an attractive re-sale benefit. I keep a sled for 1 year because after the second year there would be too many miles on it to get any resale value out of it.

You must put on a lot of kms a year. So jealous. Lol.

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think its a combination of having a reliable motor and incentive to sell more sleds!I could be wrong but I would guess more than 50 % of sleds get 1000km-1500km put on them annually (mountain sleds).that more than covers the cost for BRP to give a couple free motors to the guy that puts 7-8000kms on a sled every two yrs.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very true....Plus I think they are very confident in their product and they are showing it.

i think its a combination of having a reliable motor and incentive to sell more sleds!I could be wrong but I would guess more than 50 % of sleds get 1000km-1500km put on them annually (mountain sleds).that more than covers the cost for BRP to give a couple free motors to the guy that puts 7-8000kms on a sled every two yrs.

dropitbuster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reading the forums and owning a XM from what I can tell the E-tech has been more than reliable and Ski-doo has shown their confidence in it by offering a 4 year warranty. But warranty is only good if parts are available. If you have to wait a month for back-ordered parts during a season that is only 4 or 5 months long your warranty isn't worth 2 cents. I haven't heard of this being the case with Ski-doo but there are a few nightmare stories from the other manufacturers. I won't mention any names. cough..cough.. Polaris...cough...cough.

The way I see it ride it like you stole it. If it blows up at 5000k take it in and get a new motor. No worries till 2018. Also the E-tech is not a Liberty. You won't be blowing 4 engines in 2 years.

closeyetfar19

Reaction score
I am also curious to know what the FINE PRINT involves in this 4 year BTB warranty. Ive been looking for info on it but haven't been able to find much. Does anyone know what red tape this warranty has (or where to find this info)? Or is it actually a true 4 year BTB? Now a days you just never know.

So Ski-Doo is offering a 4 year, bumper to bumper warranty if you snowcheck a new summit or freeride. Anybody know the fine print to this? Do you have to take it in and get it serviced every year to keep it valid? Is the warranty "up" if they put more money into the sled than what its worth?

With new sleds being so unpredictable, its really attractive to see something like this. For someone like myself who will keep the sled for at least 3 years and put over 5-6 thousand miles, I can count on the motor blowing. I can handle a new top end or so, but every 800 etec that i know went down needed a new drop in.

Would you own a 800 etec off waranty with over 4-5000 miles?

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to know exactly what is covered. I am sure all wear items aren't. Is a chain a wear item? Cables? Brakes (not like I ever wore out a set)

Dont try and fool us,....... you dont think, you just talk. And most often its not so muffled if you stand up so we can hear where your voice is coming from. LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am thinking that this 4 year BTB warranty is just a sales gimmick! It's a doo they don't break down so it's not going to be used! I am looking forward to having 4 years of not having to worry!

Top Bottom