2014 Polaris Snowmobiles unveiled. First impressions?

SnoRiders

Reaction score
Website
www.snoriderswest.com
The last of the Big 4 revealed their 2014 lineup last night. Polaris expanded its Indy lineup from last year to include 11 models. The company also dropped two of its Rush models and a couple of its touring/workhorses. There is nothing big and new in the powder lineup, just some tweaks and improvements.

Polaris Snowmobiles Official Website

So, what do you thing guys? Could Polaris have done better this year or you're still satisfied from last year's release?

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The last of the Big 4 revealed their 2014 lineup last night. Polaris expanded its Indy lineup from last year to include 11 models. The company also dropped two of its Rush models and a couple of its touring/workhorses. There is nothing big and new in the powder lineup, just some tweaks and improvements.

Polaris Snowmobiles Official Website

So, what do you thing guys? Could Polaris have done better this year or you're still satisfied from last year's release?

Overall good sled last yr and im sure sales will prove that little change was needed. Lots of graphic and wrap options which is good to see. Cant invent new stuff every yr. i dont see alot of need for ppl to upgrade from 13-14 so i wish polaris wouldve added sumthn. Extra warranty or more cash back or free elec start or sumthn to entice 13 owners.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Driveshaft Klamp is standard equipment now....last year was optional although a free upgrade. Get the 3 year warranty.

Driveshaft clamp is standard equipment,,,really? Why wouldnt they come up with a new drive shaft?

Staple_STI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wasn't sure why people were expecting big things.. no car/sled/toy company makes huge changes every year

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Driveshaft clamp is standard equipment,,,really? Why wouldnt they come up with a new drive shaft?

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by sledneck_03 "The 2014 Polaris Pro RMK gets an improved Quickdrive system, updated piston rings, small refinements and tighter tolerance thresholds to improve reliability.
The Quickdrive belt will be 25% stronger at hot temperatures and 40% stronger at milder heat. The specifications for each pulley will also have a higher production standard to reduce failures before and after the break in period. No tensioner and no machined pulleys.
Improvements to tolerances for the drive and jackshaft as well as torque specifications have changed to eliminate failures and premature shaft/bearing failures. A Service Bulletin was released to adjust torque specs last Friday for the 2013 Pro RMKs that will improve durability as well. The 2014 Polaris Pro RMK 600 and 800 will come with the driveshaft collar from the factory that was added to the 2013 models."

No new drive no machined pulleys

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
https://www.snowandmud.com/images/styles/snow/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by sledneck_03 [URL]https://www.snowandmud.com/images/styles/snow/buttons/viewpost-right.png[/URL] "The 2014 Polaris Pro RMK gets an improved Quickdrive system, updated piston rings, small refinements and tighter tolerance thresholds to improve reliability.
The Quickdrive belt will be 25% stronger at hot temperatures and 40% stronger at milder heat. The specifications for each pulley will also have a higher production standard to reduce failures before and after the break in period. No tensioner and no machined pulleys.
Improvements to tolerances for the drive and jackshaft as well as torque specifications have changed to eliminate failures and premature shaft/bearing failures. A Service Bulletin was released to adjust torque specs last Friday for the 2013 Pro RMKs that will improve durability as well. The 2014 Polaris Pro RMK 600 and 800 will come with the driveshaft collar from the factory that was added to the 2013 models."

No new drive no machined pulleys

That sucks. Wasnt expecting much, but I thought they would come up with a new drive shaft forsure.:confused:

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
That sucks. Wasnt expecting much, but I thought they would come up with a new drive shaft forsure.:confused:

They could still improve it before the 2014's are built..... but I would think they had success with the Klamp and want to eliminate that issue for 2014 and thus still use the Klamp. Restoring faith in the product may be more important than another fix/failure.

Staple_STI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well!...... Gm introduced the new truck line, the new Impala and the corvette stingray

I never meant to more than 1 product mode.. I meant total overhaul on design every year (ex. generations of a certain model)

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure why people are saying Polaris did nothing... they made some big changes to the flat lander junk. All but ditched their fancy failure of a rear suspension.

Staple_STI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure why people are saying Polaris did nothing... they made some big changes to the flat lander junk. All but ditched their fancy failure of a rear suspension.

The suspension on the Pro-Rs may look like an abortion but it sure hooks up well on trails. A pretty decent southern SK sled IMO

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its a great idea, needs an idler pully and both pulleys should be flanged so the belt cannot fall off....carry a spare too.

Why does it need an idler pulley? I am confused? I have over 1200miles of what I consider hard miles on mine and it takes everything that I can throw at it......

The bottom pulley has a lip on the inside and the top pulley has a lip on the outside, where can the belt go??

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They could still improve it before the 2014's are built..... but I would think they had success with the Klamp and want to eliminate that issue for 2014 and thus still use the Klamp. Restoring faith in the product may be more important than another fix/failure.

Kinda strikes me as a cheap shitty bandaid fix for a crappy design, somewhere there is a CNC barfing out those clamps at a cost of about 2 bucks apiece if that..

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Why does it need an idler pulley? I am confused? I have over 1200miles of what I consider hard miles on mine and it takes everything that I can throw at it......

The bottom pulley has a lip on the inside and the top pulley has a lip on the outside, where can the belt go??

It needs an idler pulley for the same reason that a chain in a chaincase uses a tensioner. The forces that are exerted on the belt as currently designed does not allow for expansion and contraction and the differences in speed that may be encountered between the jackshaft and driveshaft from use; ie, jumping, deep powder pulls, twisting of the chassis, etc. Yes, the belt is strong but without a tensioner the cogs can and will break off and cause premature breakage of the belt. A tensioner would also allow easier belt installation. Do you carry torque wrench's with you so you can torque the pullys back on when changing a belt? Those bolts break very easily if overtorqued and back out from undertorque. Its a great idea, just needs some refinements..... when you get 3000 miles on that sled, then come back and tell us your story. Engine will be gone before that anyway so its a mute point.
And I seriously doubt that belt as currently designed will outlast a chain in a chaincase. Just my observations from seeing pulleys fall off and belts break this year so far....But then, this is from guys who put hard , hard miles on their pro's.

Top Bottom