2013 XM clutch rebuild

NZjosh

Reaction score
Hey Guys looking for recommendations on what to replace in a clutch rebuild on a sled with 4500km on it.

I dont know the clutch history as i just brought the sled but its got very poor engine braking coming down steep hills so thought it would be best to start with the clutch.

Should i just get the clutch rebuild kit and replace both springs?

Do the ramps wear out? should they be replaced?

Have not pulled it apart yet as im waiting for the tools to arrive but would like to have everything ready to install when the tools come

Appreciate the help

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely do both springs. Probably also due for rollers and a sliding sheave bushing. You don't need tools to take the primary apart and then see how it looks from there. Sometimes ramps get some wear on them and need replacing especially if worn out rollers have been used for too long. Engine braking on these machines isn't great to start with so it may be normal and you're just used to something better...

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well engine braking u won't get much of with a stock clutch setup no matter what shape it's in

Yes primary spring and a primary rebuild kit is a must

Secondary spring is a good idea too, but might not be too bad yet

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take it apart and give it a good cleaning. Might be all it needs. Have 4000 on mine still runs good.

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had 3600 on mine when I installed rooster built kit, new primary and secondary springs. New pin weight and helix. Didn't need just peace of mind. I'd recommend this kit but also hear good reviews on DJ's kits.

dooin800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Measure the bushing on the sliding half of the clutch, make sure it is with in spec. If you got it open put in the skidoo rebuild kit like Tex78 said.

NZjosh

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys, got it all apart and looks pretty good. going to put a rebuild kit in and replace both springs and it should be good to go... both bushing were in spec so ill leave them alone at the moment

NZjosh

Reaction score
Measure the bushing on the sliding half of the clutch, make sure it is with in spec. If you got it open put in the skidoo rebuild kit like Tex78 said.

Turns out that bushing is part of the rebuild kit so replaced that aswell... Just waiting for springs bow cycle had none in stock

Shermanator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally I think the stock clutching on the Doo is spot on, for what I know anyways. Had mine apart at 1200km to clean it out, quite a mess inside with clutch dust. Now have 2500km on it and works 100% and still the original belt! Not that I run the crap outta my sled like tex78 does though!! New springs and /or rollers/bushings and you should be good to rip. If the ramps are beat up they'll have real sharp or "torn" edges on the sides, then they'd need replacing as well.........

Top Bottom