2013 pro rmk belt drive system

mitchstefan

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I was looking at the Polaris belt drive system at the sneer peek show in my area and noticed there is no belt tensioner. The rep told me the belt will never stretch,which is hard to believe . And if you want to change gears you also have to change to a different size belt. Other aftermarket belt drive systems have tensioners and they have been out for years (cmx,c3). What are your thoughts on this system?

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Victory Vegas has no belt tensioner.. seems to work fine.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I suspect if you change gearing up 1 spline if you want to call it that on one hub and down 1 on the other the same belt may work. I don't imagine there will be much need to change gearing unless they are operating in conditions outside of the norm for which these sleds are designed so it won't be an issue for most people. Belt stretch won't be an issue. I just hope there is a very very strict tolerance on belt length during the manufacturing process. I'm thinking specifically about the poor tolerances on water pump belts in the old big blocks. They were terrible.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i guarantee within the next few months there will be a bolt on tensioner from the aftermarket so you can buy the longest belt and run multiple gear combos.

Tyson.H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
doesn't the whole wheel on a motorbike slide forward and backward for belt and chain adjustment? Maybe i am wrong! I agree with maxwell the aftermarket will either come out with a bolt on tensioner or different gearing options with gears and belts.

d8grandpa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have allready heard of after market drop and roll with a longer belt with tensioner in the works

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will now be able to use reverse to dig in or slow you down on a steep downhill. With the tensioner you risk pushing it through the case when doing this.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will now be able to use reverse to dig in or slow you down on a steep downhill. With the tensioner you risk pushing it through the case when doing this.

Many people don't realize this! Anyone that's ever had a chaincase apart knows how small some of those parts are, and that they are not meant for a full power reverse blast.

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just use reverse if I stop using my brake on a hill facing Downward, and want to Dig my track a bit so my sled won't go zipping downhill when I get df to help someone get unstuck! Just a short little bit of throttle in reverse.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just use reverse if I stop using my brake on a hill facing Downward, and want to Dig my track a bit so my sled won't go zipping downhill when I get df to help someone get unstuck! Just a short little bit of throttle in reverse.

Oh Oh. There are cracks showing in the Poo armor Johnny. You better have a talk with this young fellar.

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
doesn't the whole wheel on a motorbike slide forward and backward for belt and chain adjustment? Maybe i am wrong! I agree with maxwell the aftermarket will either come out with a bolt on tensioner or different gearing options with gears and belts.

Good point Tyson, it does. Never had to use it but it's there if/when I need to.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Polaris riders don't use reverse going down a hill. That is a newbie skidoo tactic.

Okay I know you don't need it Johnny, but it is nice to know it is an option without hurting anything. Well that assumes the Polaris secondary won't crater when you slam the throttle after flipping to reverse. Even though my experience tells me that they are tough, I do dislike the clunking that I always hear when hammering it off the line on a Polaris.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Polaris riders don't use reverse going down a hill. That is a newbie skidoo tactic.

I don't think so, I see lots of poo riders do this, doo's stop when we want them to, its the poos that can't stop. ask my poo riding partner.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reasons why this is a bad idea on any brand....
It's hard on your clutches/belt.
You have zero control, yeah it will slow you down but you're going straight no matter what.
It also prevents you from learning how to ride technically and use your a-arms to push the snow under control.

• Recommends
Reactions: cs5

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reasons why this is a bad idea on any brand....
It's hard on your clutches/belt.
You have zero control, yeah it will slow you down but you're going straight no matter what.
It also prevents you from learning how to ride technically and use your a-arms to push the snow under control.

Your right if its done wrong you risk your belt and possibly your secondary (and tensioner if you have one). You must lock the brake first and then load it up as you release the brake. And you are also right that you have no control to steer out of things when you do it. Its when you really want to stop and dig it in and there is no other option. I know its often better to punch the throttle forward on fast downhills sometimes just so you can gain some steering control rather than be the victim of gravity. And its not as near fun as planting the A-arm in and putting it on its side, I just like to know I have it tucked into my bag of tricks that I can pull out and use if I need it. After all when I follow you and Colby, I need all the tools in order not to look like a tool.

dpolacik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think so, I see lots of poo riders do this, doo's stop when we want them to, its the poos that can't stop. ask my poo riding partner.

Does that maybe have to Doo with the Poo's being on the steep stuff looking down at the Doo's? :smiliestirthepot:

Top Bottom