2013 freeride 800 14 or summit sp

cookgio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok heres my problem i can't decide which sled to get i dont ride in the mountains maybe one day would love to ride in the deep and try a few small hills nothing crazy just love playin in the deep. i have never ridden a newer slyle sled so not to sure how they r all i know is i love that new orange color on the sp and the look and options on the freeride can u get the freeride in that orange color? which sled would be the most comfortable ride i would assume the freeride cause of the suspension but not sure. see as i dont ride in the mountains should i stick with the 146, any help would be great.

Last edited:

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both are sweet sleds, the freeride is not available in that color and the suspension is more for large jumps and drops than ride quality, I'd save the cash and get the sp in the orange unless you plan on jumping or doing drops, personally I ride the mountains and although I'm not a big jumper I'd go for the freeride just for the army green;)

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The freer ode kicks ass on whooped out trails too. Great sled but doesn't have the new cool boards like the xm. If you do more trails and jumps etc free ride is the way to go

PBNFLD

Reaction score
I have a 2012 Freeride 154" that hits the snow 99% of the time in the mountains and I LOVE her!!!! No trouble to have alot of fun in the deep stuff and climbs pretty well. I mean its no 174" turbo, but she does pretty good. The freeride suspension is a nice setup. It handles large jumps and drops and is wicked on a rough trail. I'd definatly recommend the Freeride. If you go with a summit, getting the T-Motion rear suspension is probably not a great idea if your not gonna be in the mountains much

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the 146 is lots of track for the mountains.....not sure if the sp comes in a 146,but if it does i would get the summit.Unless you really like to jump your sled all day long then go with the beefier free ride

dropitbuster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance but if you don't ride in the mountains why would you buy a mountain sled? Wouldn't a sled like the Renegade Backcountry or a Freeride 137" make more sense. If you get out to the mountains one day rent a mountain sled. In the meantime ride what best suits where you ride most.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 146 is plenty of sled even if you get to mtn's once a year, but like the guy above note goes with the renegade. I go 3 times to mtn's and I ride sumitt 154 still handles good on the bald prairie.

pooch

Reaction score
i rode my 2010 146" summit on the flat lands and it was fine. that being said, i would go with the SP and use the saved cash on custom shocks for you.
and you would love the mountains. soooooooooo much fun

fountaintirexp

Reaction score
Website
www.fountaintire.com
Very different sleds, steering post, running boards, tunnel reinforcements, wider stance, not just better shocks. try to ride both with your buddies, then decide. You might change your mind completely after you ride them. There both in season sleds now anyway so you can get either any time.

cookgio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance but if you don't ride in the mountains why would you buy a mountain sled? Wouldn't a sled like the Renegade Backcountry or a Freeride 137" make more sense. If you get out to the mountains one day rent a mountain sled. In the meantime ride what best suits where you ride most.

well the renegades only come in 137 and i want 146 the freeride is a sled designed for the stunt rider and the biggest is the price cause i can get a 2013 summit sp 800 etec 146 for $12000 and the freeride is 14500 so the 2500 i save buying the summit i can kit it out ie pipe/can, gas rack, cover, better shocks, decal kit and what ever else i can think of.

cookgio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 Freeride 154" that hits the snow 99% of the time in the mountains and I LOVE her!!!! No trouble to have alot of fun in the deep stuff and climbs pretty well. I mean its no 174" turbo, but she does pretty good. The freeride suspension is a nice setup. It handles large jumps and drops and is wicked on a rough trail. I'd definatly recommend the Freeride. If you go with a summit, getting the T-Motion rear suspension is probably not a great idea if your not gonna be in the mountains much

is there something wrong with the t motion suspension would it handle different on the trails and ditch bangin.

PBNFLD

Reaction score
is there something wrong with the t motion suspension would it handle different on the trails and ditch bangin.

I havnt rode the T-Motinon yet, but given how its set up I'd imagin there will be a little more high side roll on the trails. It's not deigned for trail riding and ditch banging. If you want something that is suited for that style of riding, buy a ski-doo with the R-Motion suspension.

cookgio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i have pretty much made my mind up just one last question i was trying to figure out whats the difference in the summit sp and summit x and the only thing i can find is the hpg plus shocks and decals anybody know the difference?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i have pretty much made my mind up just one last question i was trying to figure out whats the difference in the summit sp and summit x and the only thing i can find is the hpg plus shocks and decals anybody know the difference?

Handle bars are different and color choices as well as the shocks.

Top Bottom