2013 and 2014 pro 8oo motors

sketch96

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Has the 2013 pro 800 pro motor been more reliable than 2011 and 2012?

Do you think they have made any more improvements to the 2014 motor?

I blew my 12 up a week ago and am not too sure about trading up to the new 2014 or switching to........hate to say it......cat. I have been left stranded 2 times in 3 years with 2 differnt sleds and one cost alot of moola to helicopter it out. All the cats I ride with have had small issues with belts and minor things but not one has left them stranded.
progress.gif

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I blew my 12 up a week ago and am not too sure about trading up to the new 2014 or switching to........hate to say it......cat. I have been left stranded 2 times in 3 years with 2 differnt sleds and one cost alot of moola to helicopter it out. All the cats I ride with have had small issues with belts and minor things but not one has left them stranded.

Dont see any changes to 14. Polaris is 60 yrs old for 15 so maybe new powerplant then. So far 13's r lookn good.

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have buddies who still rode while I didn't.

Cats were on the top of the list for getting towed out. So don't base your decision on just a few sleds you know of.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honestly, all brands (even Ski-Doo) have issues, but not all sleds do - part of the joy of buying mass produced equipment with parts from various manufacturers, from different countries. Both my 13 M1100T and my wife's 13 PRO have been excellent - havent had a failure with either. I wouldn't base any sled purchase based on internet forums - there is far too much brand loyalty and "my buddies sled blew up", or "I saw a Yamaha Phazer hang a beating on a new E-tech" garbage statements out there. Pretty hard to sift through all of the bullsh*t. Buy from a dealer that offers good after sales service, and the machine that fits "you" the best.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good words to live by from oneoldfart. I have friends that run the RMK's super hard and have great luck. I tried all the 2013's brands and stayed with the RMK dus to the great dealer in Pincher creek and that fact that i feel right on the RMK's

Assaulter13

Reaction score
I ride a 2013 RMK with no issues - but if I could do it again I would look at the Etec -- I love my Polaris 800, but it is just not as solid as the Etec from what I have seen. I still think the Polaris chassis is a better ride - but the Etec is a more reliable motor. Your mileage may vary.........

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

no motor improvements but you never know until part bumpers come out. for sure new quick drive belt and better quality assurance on the drive components.

As for the 13/14 motors ive heard the pistons and crank are far better quality and the pistons have more reinforced skirts compared to the 11/12

sketch96

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to hear some non biased feedback. I have been on a polaris for years and I do love my 12 pro.

One other issue I did have with it was the tunnel buckling at the back where polaris puts their "reinforcing brace" on the side of the tunnel. They are built light. I added tunnel gussets and straightened it out so I could use my gas rack. And the A arms seem a bit lightweight also. Bent a lower without even knowing it. Got home after a ride and when it thawed out one lower was bent good.

I buy 94 octane fuel and premix my fuel and turned up the oiler and it still blew up. My buddies on the cats dont premix and run marked premium and never worry about the motors. I am the only pro in a group of about 8 guys that ride all the time together. 2 older doos, 1 pro and the rest are cats.

They did have alot of minor issues with the 12 cat as well as the belt problems but the dealer is fantastic and cat stood behind their stuff and gave an extra year warranty and free belt which I thought was pretty damn good. I saw a few 13 pros stuck in the mountains with the driveshaft issue but a blown belt doesnt usually leave you stranded.

Its a big dilemma for me as I never would even entertain another brand until this 2nd motor problem happened. Fox shocks, biggest track of the three makes, fully powdercoated, seat storage and heated goggle compartment, MORE HP, stronger tunnel and A arms. DAMN this is tough!!!!!LOL!

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think we need to see a full second year on the 13 engine to make any real comparison. Mk most of the 12,s never had an issue until the second year.I have 1306 miles on my 12 and I don't, think it pulls as hard as it used too.only ever hits 8050 now used to pull 8250.could be the belt as its still the original

camarogreg

Reaction score
I'm a newbie, have a 2012 Pro 800 RMK, 520 miles so far, run premium and 50:1 semi synthetic and so far so good. The cats are a bit more powerful, but I don't have enough miles to have anyone towed out yet.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or a cat engine in a pro chassis would be a great combo !
Honestly, there isn't much difference how the PRO or the Proclimb handle - boils down to what you are used to and are comfortable with - but a little seat time on either, and you'll like them just fine. Doesn't matter to me what sled Chris Burandt, Brett Rassmussen, etc are paid to ride, as I am not them, nor will I ever be (I'm ok with that, too.) What fits you, your frame, and what you want from a sled is important. To be realistic, there is only a handful of riders that can ride any of the new sleds to thier full potential, and that is a FACT. All of the new iron is hands down better out of the crate then they were 5, 10, or 15 years ago, and will go places that some riders have no business being. Another FACT. Worry about what you like, if your local dealer will take care of you (WHICH IS HUGE), and be realistic in your riding ability. A good rider can learn to ride any machine - it's all about the seat time.

starfire72

Reaction score
Good to hear some non biased feedback. I have been on a polaris for years and I do love my 12 pro.

One other issue I did have with it was the tunnel buckling at the back where polaris puts their "reinforcing brace" on the side of the tunnel. They are built light. I added tunnel gussets and straightened it out so I could use my gas rack. And the A arms seem a bit lightweight also. Bent a lower without even knowing it. Got home after a ride and when it thawed out one lower was bent good.

I buy 94 octane fuel and premix my fuel and turned up the oiler and it still blew up. My buddies on the cats dont premix and run marked premium and never worry about the motors. I am the only pro in a group of about 8 guys that ride all the time together. 2 older doos, 1 pro and the rest are cats.

They did have alot of minor issues with the 12 cat as well as the belt problems but the dealer is fantastic and cat stood behind their stuff and gave an extra year warranty and free belt which I thought was pretty damn good. I saw a few 13 pros stuck in the mountains with the driveshaft issue but a blown belt doesnt usually leave you stranded.

Its a big dilemma for me as I never would even entertain another brand until this 2nd motor problem happened. Fox shocks, biggest track of the three makes, fully powdercoated, seat storage and heated goggle compartment, MORE HP, stronger tunnel and A arms. DAMN this is tough!!!!!LOL!

just a side note .. i dont know if i am the only who has noticed that the ethanol in the fuel now is detrimental to 2 stroke engines(not to mention 4 stroke engines- mostly in the carburater and fuel system gumming up), you may think you are giving your machine ``the best`` by using 94 octane, but i do think that non-ethanol even if it is a lower octane rating is better for a 2 stroke. ethanol fuels run hotter which we all know is not a good combination for a 2 stroke... just my 2 cents

sketch96

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are right about that but the 94 octane I run from chevron here in BC has NO ethanol, it says it right on the pump. Thats why I was running it, high octane and no ethanol. I was very fussy about how this sled was warmed up and what I ran for fuel. Even added the polaris de icer in m y fuel as they recommend for non ethanol fuel to be sure of no water from condensation. half oz of oil per gallon of fuel premix just to make sure the cylinder had a bit of extra lube also. BUT!!!!! KABLAM anyway. Getting a complete new motor as we speak.........actually the motor is 3 weeks away on back order......what does that tell you! Luckily that was my last ride anyway but, if that was mid way in the season I was out of a ride for a month minimum. Polaris has no motors left on their shelves for a reason. It sucks!

just a side note .. i dont know if i am the only who has noticed that the ethanol in the fuel now is detrimental to 2 stroke engines(not to mention 4 stroke engines- mostly in the carburater and fuel system gumming up), you may think you are giving your machine ``the best`` by using 94 octane, but i do think that non-ethanol even if it is a lower octane rating is better for a 2 stroke. ethanol fuels run hotter which we all know is not a good combination for a 2 stroke... just my 2 cents

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reading a similar thread to this on Snowest the consensus is that the 2013 Polaris 800 engines had a more normal amount of engine failures unlike the earlier ones. One other thing is I really don't think the horsepower issue is as big as some people make it out to be other than winning the p*ssing contest.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i also think it really depends on the person!

my self and my father have never had motor troubles and some were ones that were known to have troubles, and put a ton of miles on them.

I know other people that just hav trouble allllllllllllllll the time. I dont get it?? My brother in law for example could not keep his 1000 rt motor together! he fixed it him self, hes a millwright not a mechanic..... but it just blew and blew and blew but fair enough he probably cut corners and that motor was junk to begin with. Now he got a 2012 1100t and it just went to the shop cause it was blowing while smoke and throwing a bunch of codes!

Is it not common sense to look over your sled often? Also to let it warm up? how about always run good fuel and oil? I dont baby my sled in any way either but i dont do stupid things either.

I would say neglect and stupidity add to alot of the issues sleds have.

Top Bottom