2012 m1100 turbo blowing belts like crazy

Coady rideout

Reaction score
Hi I am wondering if any one is having this problem with there 1100 turbo? I am currently on my 4th belt and I only have 435 miles on it, I had an alignment done on it in Saskatoon proline motor sports and all came back good. I took of my belt cover and flatten out the vents cause the belt was hitting it once u lit off the gas cause it would bounce up and down until it stopped.i also bent the brake cover that is directly under the secondary clutch cause it can touch it and its only another sharp edge to cut something. I been braking my belts in the right way but I don't know why I can't keep a belt on it. In bc the belts got so hot u could not even touch it. Please any direction would help me , o and the sled is new and stock, only bought it two months ago so all the updates should be done

koby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We've been using Carlisle XS 809 belts with much sucess.
There a little longer and don't get sucked down in the meatgrinder, (helix).

tannerh

Reaction score
I put the frog skins on and changed the shim in my secondary and it made a big difference in heat.

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sound about right for a new A/C. The problem is warranty doesnt cover belts and arctic cat wont fix the problem.. YOu have to. First of all you need lots of vents. Also it seems like the secondaries are junk. Team secondary clutch is suppose to help alot. The biggest problem is the flexing jack shaft which causes the secondary to be out of alignment when under full power. You could try to find a dealer work with you on this but I doubt you will have any luck. It really sucks spending more money on belts than on fuel.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talk to Kerry at White Knuckle in lloyd. They do awesome work on the 1100's and i'm sure they can figure out something for you.

Go-Vertical

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had similar issue this year when i put the stock secondary back on. I blew 3 belts in 125miles. Pulled cord on two and broke one. Threw the compression part of the secondary in the garbage and went back to my STM torsional conversion and now got 200 miles on the belt. Another plus is that I have engine braking again.

Newmanater90

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep blew 3 belts in 85 miles last saturday! the original belt had 400 miles on it not to bad but the next one blew in 25 miles then replaced it with another new on to get me home which ended up blowing after 8 miles! This sled has been the biggest nightmare of my life complete garbage. I have a list of warranty issues and break downs an entire page long! Oh and no help from cat! Good luck!

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep blew 3 belts in 85 miles last saturday! the original belt had 400 miles on it not to bad but the next one blew in 25 miles then replaced it with another new on to get me home which ended up blowing after 8 miles! This sled has been the biggest nightmare of my life complete garbage. I have a list of warranty issues and break downs an entire page long! Oh and no help from cat! Good luck!
Measure your center to center distance - it should be 11.5" If you are finding it to be 11 9/16" (which most are), use Cat's 084 belt. If your sled isn't vented, add some. I've read most of your posts on S&M, and tend to think that from your snocross racing background that you are pushing a heavy sled to it's limits, and maybe beyond. There was a bunch of unhappy 2012 owners no doubt about it, but I doubt any mountain sled other then the Assault or Freeride would suit you. Bent rails happen when a 162" sled goes vertical, and the rear drop brackets won't withstand the weight of a 660 lb sled + rider if landed wrong. It sounds like cat warrantied your drop brackets - the rivets are easily fixed with touch up paint, or get a batch powder coated and reinstall them yourself. This is not a dig at you, but if you are having issues getting repairs completed that SHOULD BE warranty claims, maybe it's time to find a new dealer, or PM some of the other owners on here - most are willing to help and provide beneficial tips.

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I thought you were sending that thing down the road?

Newmanater90

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oneoldfart I don't disagree with I do push them hard but with the research I did before I bought and my dealer telling me they were based off the snox chassis it would hold up I was led to believe it would. To be honest the rails bent from cat walking without any track lift off cause I know the exact moment it happened. I figured with warranty they would powder coat the rivots for me especially since I got hosed spending 17800 on the sled. I would get rid of it but trade in on a doo I was offered 6500 that's it lol kinda an insult.

On your comment with a free ride or an assault I have to say I just rolled over 400 miles on my XM 163" and half of those miles were ditch banging in sasky and rails along with the rest of the sled seem to be holding up

I appreciate the way you put your reply though lol

Top Bottom