2012 154 sport power tec

highstage

Reaction score
Good day i just got a new 2012 power tec sport 154 is there any thing i should know about these sleds some thing to keep a eye on or are they pretty good
any input would be great
thx

Attachments

• Starland County-20111112-00153.jpg
    Starland County-20111112-00153.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 337

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should be good. That sled is the best bang for you buck out there! Looks like it already has any decent upgrades you might need.

Ride it!

After a few hundred miles be sure and check the chaincase tension and track tension. Both will stretch when new.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
awesome sled. like mentioned you can not beat the price and value for this thing! i still run a powertek and it will not dissapoint! especially with the new track.

ditch the stock exhaust canister, and check the track and chain like mentioned and ride it! they are great sleds

highstage

Reaction score
Its a home mad can built out of a 12 inch long blue bottle with a 2 inch inlet i built one years ago for my 2003 zx 159 xstream 800 ho run it for 4000 km never had any trouble cost me 50 bucks my old 159 is still running strong with the same can

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So do we get to see a picture of this thing?

Unless you are very passionate about this "it" I would get rid of it. You just spent a fair amount of cash on a nice sled, to turn around and put a homemade can on it. One that is likely costing you a loss of HP.

You don't have to buy into the hype of any particular can, but in all honesty, go spend $250 on a can that likely doesn't sound as obnoxious and doesn't cost you a loss in performance. Feel free to prove me wrong.

If you really want to do something homemade, go add metal cleats to your track.

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with -bounce. Dyno Tech did a comparo test with several different cans on the power tek a couple years ago. All but 2 lost some pretty serious hp. All but one had considerably less backpressure, creating leanness, heat and varying levels of power loss. The MBRP homework showed worth while. It's the only one I'd use; I like my motor, my bank account, and my power delivery too much to take the chance.

Champagne powder

Reaction score
Soooo .. The SLP I have on my 08 800 rtec is causing less back pressure, creating leanness, heat and power loss? Can anyone verify this? Sorry to high jack

Duct tape Doo

Reaction score
good choice, best bang for buck, wish I had gone this route before upgrading my 08 to a 2011 suspension.

highstage

Reaction score
[h=3]here is what i would like to know guys if we are so worried about back press / flow and heat on these cans why dose one can fit so many sleds ranging from 800r to 500 and i dont think all these mtrs have the same flow and temp if they do it would be amazing this brp can fits all these sleds listed below there is two examples one can fits numerous engines ranging from 500 to 800r

MXZ/Renegade/Summit/GSX/XP 800R/500ss/500 TNT/600RS '08-12 Standard[/h]
> >

List Price:$269.99
Price:$259.99
Other products by

We have a large stock of MBRP cans in stock. However, if a can is not in stock, or en route, this may take two to three weeks delivery. Thank You.​
FREE FREIGHT!
-Lightweight performance muffler
-Increases in horsepower and torque
-No major clutching and jetting mods needed
-Deeper more aggressive exhaust note
-Exit through the stock location
-Mandrel bent tubing
-1200 Degree F rust inhibiting coating
-Polished stainless steel body

Power Gain: +2 HP
[h=3]REV/MXZ/Renegade/Summit/GSX/REV 500ss/600/800 '03-07 Standard[/h]
> >

List Price:$269.99
Price:$259.99
Other products by

We have a large stock of MBRP cans in stock. However, if a can is not in stock, or en route, this may take two to three weeks delivery. Thank You.​
FREE FREIGHT!
-Lightweight performance muffler
-Increases in horsepower and torque
-No major clutching and jetting mods needed
-Deeper more aggressive exhaust note
-Exit through the stock location
-Mandrel bent tubing
-1200 Degree F rust inhibiting coating
-Polished stainless steel body

Power Gain: +3 HP
Weight Reduction: -8.5 lbs

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had sent this to highstage as he asked specifically how MBRP can achieve making on can for multiple pipes/motors and I responded, but then I saw further questions on the previous page with concerns on an exhaust. You can take this with a grain of salt if you wish, or feel free to correct how my theory is incorrect.

The only thing I am truely worried about is a loss in performance and potential motor failure when changing anything on the exhaust. I don't believe in any hype that brand "x" can gain provides a gain in performance. Claims that MBRP makes 2-3+ HP are open statements. Is this gain at WOT? Midrange? Low end? Its just an open claim that it makes HP, well I call BS.

What we do know is, 2 strokes require a certain amount of exhaust backpressure to prevent the unburned air/fuel mixture from passing right through the cylinders into the exhaust. The expansion pipe takes care of much of that. Unfortunately, opening up the end of the expansion pipe reduces significant back pressure. We also know that peak HP is achieved when the expansion chambers are hot. Keeping heat in these pipes is very important. Many sled drag guys will wrap their pipes in header wrap. Higher temperature means that air molecules move faster because they have more energy. I've tried it, but its a pain. I noticed right away my sled ran leaner through the rpm range. Not having enough heat results in a loss of performance.

2 stroke exhausts are tuned to peak performance. The Stock oem exhaust has just about the perfect combination to achieve this. Thus why dyno numbers are based on this value. The exhaust on a 600 is typically the same on the 800, right from the factory. Yes each motor has a difference in performance and again why the claims that these can builders make are open claims. How can you gain the same amount of performance on different motors right? But it doesn't make sense in terms of profit to build an exhaust for each motor.

There have also been exhaust cans which have been considered too tight. We want back pressure, but too much back pressure will not allow the exhaust gases to be scavenged. We still need to pull the spent gases out of the cylinder. We want to keep the gas velocity high at the engine port, medium velocity through the mid of the pipe, and exit out through a can that allows proper exhausting without harming/changing the air flow in the pipe.

I am by no means an expert engine builder, so some of my terminolgy might not be the perfect term used. We just try to share our experiences. If someone has tried something before and it works, we like to know, at the same time, if someone has tried something in the past with failure, we also want to share that.

When people start changing their exhaust components and pairing them with different brands, the tuning of these brands my not always properly work well together. I will always stay away from ebay cans and cans I have never heard of before. I also stay away from gimmicks that sell cans like carbon fibre. Yeah sure its great that its CF, but have they invested more time in making the CF can than testing it to ensure it matches the exhaust system?

People love cans! Its fairly cheap to change a can to something new and shiny. We love new, we love shiny. And its easy to change. Who doesn't love shiny new easy things? Best thing a can does is offer a little more bark and shed a few pounds.

Last edited:

sscamaro_skwark

Reaction score
I agree with you for the most part, but I wouldn't call bs of power claims, more less a matter of where that gain is, & is your sled even going to run in that powerband, not to mention what happens to the rest of your powerband. The two most important things to remember are component matching for the desired application, & power to weight ratio. I know of people that dynoed BRP engines with the stock pipe. One with the factory heat shielding & one without (weight reduction), guess which one produced the best power to weight ratio? The stock pipe WITH FACTORY HEAT SHIELDING, the factory does everything based on a couple concepts, get the best performance for a reasonable price that the customer will actually buy. So gains can always be made, but a blueprinted factory engine will provide a hard to beat middle of the line concept. They provide a great balance of power, cost, & reliability.

& yes the 800R is a great engine & can surprise the majority of riders as to where it will take you, in most cases it is rider error that limits a sleds potential, my sled continues to amaze me, but I have found that I can also surprise myself also, continually learning

doo-guy

Reaction score
Nice lookin sled highstage, just bought one myself. It's pretty much the same sled as my '09 summit everest. Shoot me a pm if you want to discuss any options for this sled. I'm only 45 minutes away.

Top Bottom