2011 M8 SnoPro no speedo

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The speedometer stopped working on my 2011 M8. My first thought was speed sensor, so I put a new one in, and still have nothing. What else should I look at? I don't see any troubleshooting procedures in the service manual. Any suggestions are appreciated. Just to clarify, the LCD still shows RPM, altitude, etc just fine, just no speed at all. Thanks

Dakine879

Reaction score
Will the analog speedo work while the RPM's is being displayed? (just to clarify)

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 11 m8 speedo did the same a couple months after I bought it in 11, changed speed sensor and still didnt work, rode it the rest of the year like that as everything else worked, put it away in the shed for the summer and when i took it out the following december it worked and has worked for 4 years since, alls i can think is maybe there was some water in the guage and the 20-40+ degree temps inside the shed all summer dried it out

Sent from my iPhone because I'm sledding or to lazy to get off the couch

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It started working intermittently towards the end of my ride yesterday. Now I'm really confused. The sled gets parked in my heated shop, so it has plenty of time to dry out in between rides.

I wonder if it could be a voltage regulator issue?

finkous

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i broke my speedo and ended up putting a new one in and its doing the exact same thing... my dealers mechanic told me to put some dielectric grease on the plug and for some reason the black wire seems to work itself loose out of the plug, so wiggle it back into place. I've been lazy and haven't done this to see if it works but I've got nothing to lose in trying it... if we ever get some snow to give me and my sled another crack at this love relationship I'll look at trying it

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i broke my speedo and ended up putting a new one in and its doing the exact same thing... my dealers mechanic told me to put some dielectric grease on the plug and for some reason the black wire seems to work itself loose out of the plug, so wiggle it back into place. I've been lazy and haven't done this to see if it works but I've got nothing to lose in trying it... if we ever get some snow to give me and my sled another crack at this love relationship I'll look at trying it
Speed sensor plug, or gauges?

Maybe I'll hit both for good measure. I don't particularly care about speed, but it's nice to know how far I've gone while out in the back country.

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had one of those gauges apart and they really aren't built well to be out in the elements. There is no seal to keep moisture out so I could see it being a moisture issue. It likely seals enough that once there is moisture in it it will take a bit of time to dry it out.

finkous

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the gauge plug... I'm with ya on not really caring about how fast I am going but the trip odometer is nice..

the reason I changed mine, I must have put my helmet down on it a bit too hard and it cracked the lens right along the bottom and it got moisture inside to the point that it quit working all together, when I took it apart there was a line of corrosion on the circuit board from where the water had been... 400 bucks later I have a crack free gauge cluster with no speedo :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom