2011 M8 Sno Pro - What's wrong here?

Doof

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I'm not really sure what's wrong here, was thinking either the TSS(throttle safety switch) or the exhaust valves.. If anyone can tell me what's wrong before I start tearing stuff apart, that would be great.

Only aftermarket parts on the sled are a MBRP can and Boyesen Rage Cage reeds. 4000km on it.

Thanks in advance.

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might need a bit more info about what is going on. Unless I missed something.

Doof

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might need a bit more info about what is going on. Unless I missed something.

Sorry I guess the video isn't the greatest. It cuts out quite often when I touch the throttle, and often times has a very slow throttle response when it doesn't cut out. Runs like a dime once you can get it to open up, but that isn't happening very often right now.

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am viewing this with an iPad and the link doesn't show up at all. Mine was stalling last trip to the mountains but I was in deep wet snow and figure the throttle switch was icing up. I rode it at home this weekend it was fine. Mine was only acting up on from idle to quarter throttle after that it ran fine too.

Doof

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am viewing this with an iPad and the link doesn't show up at all. Mine was stalling last trip to the mountains but I was in deep wet snow and figure the throttle switch was icing up. I rode it at home this weekend it was fine. Mine was only acting up on from idle to quarter throttle after that it ran fine too.

At first that's what I thought it was too, but I literally took it straight out of the heated garage earlier today and it is still doing the same thing so it isn't ice buildup on mine. It just seems to be getting worse and worse is what's bothering me.

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure where to start then hopefully someone else has some ideas.

sled_wrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do you still have the suit case for your sled ??? i had an 04 that did something kinda the same ... long story short i sold it and the guy put stock pipe and can back on and it never did it again ...give that a try and see what happens

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think your throttle cable is hanging up. Disconnect the safety switch for a while and see if it goes away. Be carefull though, if it is hanging up you might have a runaway. keep your hand on the kill button just in case.

Doof

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do you still have the suit case for your sled ??? i had an 04 that did something kinda the same ... long story short i sold it and the guy put stock pipe and can back on and it never did it again ...give that a try and see what happens
We had a stock can sitting around from a 2010 M8, unfortunately didn't do nothing tho

I think your throttle cable is hanging up. Disconnect the safety switch for a while and see if it goes away. Be carefull though, if it is hanging up you might have a runaway. keep your hand on the kill button just in case.
I remember looking at it a while back when I changed the hand warmer but is it just a little plug that you unhook? And ya I have heard of some of the horror stories of riding without that or a tether lol.

sled_wrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup I my story lol I took that out and had no tether and my sled took off with out me full tilt thru a fence across the street and between two houses lol ..... If you are goin to unhook it get a tether I think I paid 50 bucks and its all plug and play fawk all to it

Doof

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup I my story lol I took that out and had no tether and my sled took off with out me full tilt thru a fence across the street and between two houses lol ..... If you are goin to unhook it get a tether I think I paid 50 bucks and its all plug and play fawk all to it

I think I seen that story on here a while ago... Haha! I'll check it out when I get the chance and if it's that switch, I'll go with a tether for sure

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the switch is working fine. That why it is cutting out. I think you cable is sticking and needs to be replaced. Only disconnect switch for testing. Also a tether is always a good idea.

Doof

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks fellas! Never thought that would be the problem, but I will definitely be checking it the next time I'm home!

nathan#19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the exact sled and had that happen to me yesterday actually.! But my throttle stuck a bit open and made me think I had a broken throttle cable for a min. I checked my cable adjustment and found that the adjuster nuts had come loose. Tightened up and rode for another 4 hours with no problem, but I had a "ECU 05 " code come up right when I was parking it so I don't know what that is about but I feel it's unrelated.

Doof

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the exact sled and had that happen to me yesterday actually.! But my throttle stuck a bit open and made me think I had a broken throttle cable for a min. I checked my cable adjustment and found that the adjuster nuts had come loose. Tightened up and rode for another 4 hours with no problem, but I had a "ECU 05 " code come up right when I was parking it so I don't know what that is about but I feel it's unrelated.

Okay I will definitely have to check that out when I get the chance as well. ECU 05 is an intake air temperature sensor I think? It might even say underneath the hood up near the front where there is a few of those diagnostic codes and the explanation of what they mean.

Doof

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So after a weekend of working on, doing a tear down and clean on the sled, still the same problem is occurring. First, ripped it down to the reeds for a check-up and cleaned everything as it was much needed. Reeds were good, lubricated and adjusted the throttle cable(it was too tight) and made sure it was operating correctly. Also replaced spark plugs and cleaned out exhaust valves. Threw everything back together and took it for a test ride, still doing the exact same thing... I then removed the throttle safety switch, but it did nothing and did the exact same thing.

This is driving me nuts! Possibly something electrical?.. It only falls on its face from low to mid rpm's, mid to high it runs like a top.

I'm stumped! :confused:

Top Bottom