2011 800 fouling plugs

orangemaddness

Reaction score
My 2011 switchback assault Started fouling spark plugs last year and my dealership has had three chances to fix it and has not figured it out yet. They keep putting new plugs in it and giving it back saying its fixed. Has Anyone else had trouble like this and if so what did you find was the problem as my mechanic here is clearly in over his head when it comes to fixing the problem for me.

andrew3399

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it the same plug every time? 2011 had some (not all) issues with injectors leaking, not closing properly.

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2011 switchback assault Started fouling spark plugs last year and my dealership has had three chances to fix it and has not figured it out yet. They keep putting new plugs in it and giving it back saying its fixed. Has Anyone else had trouble like this and if so what did you find was the problem as my mechanic here is clearly in over his head when it comes to fixing the problem for me.
I work at the dealership in Medicine Hat and had one of these last year that had the same prob. Did it from new, his dealer could not sort it out either. Start up easy, run for 30 secs to a minute and bam, drop a cylinder. Fouled plug. It would alternate cylinders also. After it warmed up it was fine for the day. I took my wife's 11 pro to work and switched everything under the sun, one piece at a time and nothing helped. New injectors twice, new stator. Last resort i tore the top end off, the rings never did seat and the cyls were glazed like glass. The bottom end had carbon deposits in it and was quite black in places. Deglazed the block, new pistons and rings. He took on a couple trips after that,(no snow where he was from) put 300 miles on it and never killed a plug. There has been a few cases where injectors fixed the prob, new stator fixed the prob. I still think they ended up with rings on some 11's that were just way to hard and would polish the cyls like glass. With the rings not sealing when the engine was cold they would just recycle exhaust gas back into the case. Rich condition.

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 assault and i have the spark plug
problem also
once warmed up runs fine all day but that first
3 min can some times make for a plug swap
all so seems to smoke alot (white) like to much
oil untill the warm up ??
any one else ?

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
I have a 2011 assault and i have the spark plug
problem also
once warmed up runs fine all day but that first
3 min can some times make for a plug swap
all so seems to smoke alot (white) like to much
oil untill the warm up ??
any one else ?
White smoke would indicate a coolant leak...which would foul a plug. Maybe some of these sleds had bad top end o-rings or the head either wasn't perfectly flat or not tourqued properly. Cold starts is when you would notice it for sure. Once everything is warmed up and expanded then a coolant leak may stop.

SledKitten

Reaction score
I had what sounds like a similar issue on a 2011 Assault as well. Ran fine one trip, next trip ran ill right from unloading off truck. We thought at 1st it was just because it was cold but got progressively worse as the day went on. It wouldn't idle, which in return also wouldn't go into reverse and would die when you let off throttle going down hills. It was smoking like a S.O.B and was really boggy. Then near end of trip it started to foul plugs. We put new plugs in, ran great for about 50 yards then would be boggy and foul plugs right away. It wasn't always the same plug fouling, switched back and forth. Took it into dealer and they ran it in shop and said they found nothing wrong.....typical.

mrrch

Reaction score
Get the cylinder pulled off and check the rings, they will most likely have chipped or pitted on the intake side(compression test will show a good reading). Recently found this on a 2011 & a 2012 model. Polaris is no help (their answer is always to check fuel,fuel resistor, sparkplug caps/deny any problems until the units are out of warranty)

mrrch

Reaction score
Both were low mileage units as well 2011 762 miles 2012 430 miles.

turboassault

Reaction score
My buddies sled did the same thing from new. They ended up rebuilding it on warranty because the top end was toast. The computer was reading like 85 overheats and 35 shutdowns in 400 miles. That is totally impossible and i know for a fact that it never happened. Polaris tried to blame him but in the end he got warranty. They did the top end and replaced the temp sensor and it is now good.

TKrebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine just recently starting fouling aswell. But we narrowed it down to me putting to much oil into my fuel. Havent had a problem since.

orangemaddness

Reaction score
finally got my dealer to check into my engine instead of just giving me the same old run around and guess what they found. My pistons were all pitted and the cylanders were so scared they aren't even going to try to hone them. Looks like they have been dicking me around for 2 yrs trying to get out of fixing it on warranty. Sure glad i snow checked it and got extended warranty.

mrrch

Reaction score
Good to here,spread this info on others forums if you can. The more cases reported to Polaris the better (they'll still deny any problems.LOL)

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been bitching about the samething all year
-took it to the dealer 4 times and they say nothing is wrong with it ,so sick of them
-i have to pack 6 spark plugs with me at all times just to feel safe
-it always runs great in the mountains but drops plugs in Edmonton all the time when I am ditch banging around home
-heavy white smoke at start up
-always used shell gold and non ethanol plug in
- there is no freedom in liberty engines or customer backing up , just bend over and have an $8 buck mechanic tell u ur are high on something
i got to stop as I am getting pissed off just thinking about it all

Top Bottom