2010 vancouver olympics

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a question? Has anyone noticed the ad for the 2010 Vancouver Olympics on T.V? The ad depicts Canada's winter heritage through the years and one of the shots shows a John Deere snowmobile zipping through the snow. Now your probably thinking yeah so what? Will if this is a Canadian sporting event is there some reason we could not be showing a Canadian snowmobile zipping through the snow?? What is more Canadian than a Ski-Doo, Moto-Ski,Sno-Jet or Ski-Rule, heck even a Ski-Bee would have shown more Canadian Heritage than a John Deere:confused: My rant for the week:rant:

Billy Boy:cool:

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The owelympics are a joke. This ad is just running status quo. I would wager they got that shot of the john deere for 10$ less or some such. Perhaps JOhn Deere is a sponsor, and they would rather depict that machine.

I'll be glad when it's march.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
There has been so much controversy over advertising - it makes us Canadian look like back woods hicks.
Some if it is from VANOC and some if it is from the Canadian Olympic Committee.
I'm embarrassed by this event (IMO).

That being said, I wish no ill will to the competitors. I really hope Canada shines in many events.

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya well like it or not its here and we are payin,so personaly Im goin to make the best of it,if nothin else it should be a good party.I support all are athaletes and hope we kick a$$ in winning medals plus the facilities biult will help local athaletes for years to come.I was against it myself but since its coming anyways might aswell make the best f it.

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya well like it or not its here and we are payin,so personaly Im goin to make the best of it,if nothin else it should be a good party.I support all are athaletes and hope we kick a$$ in winning medals plus the facilities biult will help local athaletes for years to come.I was against it myself but since its coming anyways might aswell make the best f it.

You are right, Like it or not they are here. I also wish our athletes well, but I can not believe the amount of tax dollars hard at waste. From dumb commercials to chasing a torch around the world and now around Canada,
To the security and infrastructure that has to be beefed up all at a cost to the canadian taxpayer.
I was living in Calgary during those olympics and if there is one word of advice I can give to the locals, take holidays and GET OUT OF DODGE!!!.
there will not be one vehicle available to rent within 200 miles and they will be on every road and full of forgeniers (orientals) not knowing where they are or where they are going. You will be late for everything you do during this time, including going home to watch the olympics. You will be better off going somewhere for holidays (Snowmobiling?) and watching them on T.V. At least you will be able to see a lot more and have a lot less fustration in your life.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
but I can not believe the amount of tax dollars hard at waste. From dumb commercials to chasing a torch around the world and now around Canada,

Don't get me wrong. I hope our folks do well, I just feel the olympics have taken a turn from what they were when I was a kid. It's ever so commercial, and in my opinion, the addition of professionals to the hockey has taken the games into a different dimension. It used to be, if you were training for the olympics, you did so. Now, you can sign your multi million dollar contract, take time off work, and play. After you are done, sign another contract, and make even more millions.

It's about dollars now, not sport.

Once again, just one man's opinion. You are all welcome to disagree. :beer:

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Obviously I have touched a bit of a nerve. All I was complaining about was the use of an American Industrial Symbol (John Deere) in an ad that is supposed to be promoting Canada's big 10 days on the international stage. Maybe this is indicative of somthing deeper??? Maybe not?

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now if it is a committee that oversees the ads for the Vancouver Olympics I can see the screw up happening with using the John Deere snowmobile. Now if you ask them to fix it, I can see it being a committee fix; Paint the John Deere yellow. Now the ad is fixed LOL.

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well, vanoc bought all new groomers for whistler from a europian company. nothing like keeping taxpayer cash in the country,.:eek:

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can thank Harper and previous leader and all other so called CDN leaders for how our country has gone to ch!t.... Including the Olympics! Frig I could go on for an hour, but in short form there is not much CDN about the Olympics anymore.... And our own Country.. :(

TravisFader

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally, i really dont like the olymipcs. Alright, so a guy trains for four years using money he gets from the government and sponsors to throw a stick, or run fast, or use a pair of skis. This man lives a comfortable life simply training. He then competes ONCE every four years and throws his stic or runs his ten seconds. Then he is done for another four years living of his government money and sponsors. What the hell does an olympic athlete constructivly contribute to society. Other than the minute sliver of entertainment that some get by seeing a man run real fast. And the coin it takes to build the facilities where the olympics take place. Just my 2 cents though

Metalfusion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are right, Like it or not they are here. I also wish our athletes well, but I can not believe the amount of tax dollars hard at waste. From dumb commercials to chasing a torch around the world and now around Canada,
To the security and infrastructure that has to be beefed up all at a cost to the canadian taxpayer.
I was living in Calgary during those olympics and if there is one word of advice I can give to the locals, take holidays and GET OUT OF DODGE!!!.
there will not be one vehicle available to rent within 200 miles and they will be on every road and full of forgeniers (orientals) not knowing where they are or where they are going. You will be late for everything you do during this time, including going home to watch the olympics. You will be better off going somewhere for holidays (Snowmobiling?) and watching them on T.V. At least you will be able to see a lot more and have a lot less fustration in your life.

Isnt every vehicle in Hongcouver like this already? Doesnt sound like much of a change.:rant:

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally, i really dont like the olymipcs. Alright, so a guy trains for four years using money he gets from the government and sponsors to throw a stick, or run fast, or use a pair of skis. This man lives a comfortable life simply training. He then competes ONCE every four years and throws his stic or runs his ten seconds. Then he is done for another four years living of his government money and sponsors. What the hell does an olympic athlete constructivly contribute to society. Other than the minute sliver of entertainment that some get by seeing a man run real fast. And the coin it takes to build the facilities where the olympics take place. Just my 2 cents though

I'm with you on this one

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there will not be one vehicle available to rent within 200 miles and they will be on every road and full of forgeniers (orientals) not knowing where they are or where they are going.

Dude, It's Vancouver..... That's daily driving man.

glacier mt lodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.glaciermountainlodge.com

I do not agree with the olympics either....but I will set the record straight on one thing. Our olympic athletes do not get paid very much. It is barley enough to survive and when they are in training they can not have a job. I know this first hand as one of the Ladies I went to school with was on the Canadian Ladies Grass Hockey team. So before you spout of that they our living on taxpayers money you should learn the truth... Personally I think it is a disgrace what they get paid for living allowance.:nono::nono:

TravisFader

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Certainly you could have a job while training, 8 hours a day work, 8 hours a day training 8 hours sleeping, Hell. Mcdonalds is such a proud sponsor why not work there for even 4 hours a day. It would make it a lot easier to live on now wouldnt it. Dont get me wrong i dont hate the athlets by any means. Im just saying they dont do anything for a society. Just saying. Lol right on pipes!

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do not agree with the olympics either....but I will set the record straight on one thing. Our olympic athletes do not get paid very much. It is barley enough to survive and when they are in training they can not have a job. I know this first hand as one of the Ladies I went to school with was on the Canadian Ladies Grass Hockey team. So before you spout of that they our living on taxpayers money you should learn the truth... Personally I think it is a disgrace what they get paid for living allowance.:nono::nono:

Look at the athletes in the states tho LOADED !!!!!!

Top Bottom