2010 rmk 800 voltage regulator issue!!

davermk

Reaction score
Purchased a new rmk 800 2010 model. got it on the snow for the first time a few days ago. All worked fine until there was 1.1 hrs on the meter. All of a sudden the dash went dark, sled started loosing power and eventually shut down. The sled would re-start but, would only stay running for about 30 seconds before shutting down again. "made for a long trip out" Brought it back to dealer and they discovered that it was a faulty voltage regulator. Has anyone else had this problem with the 2010 polaris d or rmk?

Smithys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought a 2010 RMK 800 last December. Put 1000kms on the sled from December to end of March and had no issues at all with it.

salbendidi

Reaction score
i put a voltage regulator in my 2010 assault. same thing happened except it ran for a few mins then died. also a long trip out. it was fixed under warranty

davermk

Reaction score
i put a voltage regulator in my 2010 assault. same thing happened except it ran for a few mins then died. also a long trip out. it was fixed under warranty

Thanks for the input, glad to hear that this has happened to someone else. After the dealer replaced the part have you had any further problems?

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can do alot of things on your sled to pervent that problem. Were the reg and the capacitor is gets hot they are mounted on top of each other.You can move the capacitor out of the plastic cover and mount it on the shock tower.Remove a circle from the foam between the 2 plates, under the voltage reg, but dont remove the hole foam it stops vibration. Add more ground straps, engine to bulkhead and bulkhead to ground on elec plate by your left knee. Lightening 1000 just did his Ill see if he can post some pics for ya he also has a little fan on his.

Chris

Last edited:

rockydaug

Reaction score
I believe they have a new updated part number, regulator and capacitor, well the numbers are new anyways:d

Hammer800

Reaction score
Polaris good will service

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got a message from Polaris today about 2009-2010 600/700/800 CFI sleds. Basically for a year after your factory warranty expieres they will do a good will warranty on the voltage regulator if it fails. They will also cover the ECU if it is taken out. They have a updated voltage regulator that they will put in.

Hammer800

Reaction score
Here is he updated part number of the voltage regulator and the price from polaris.
This info was also supplied by OnlyPolaris. Hope it helps.
it is part number 4012930 and is available now for $164.99.

just read some more info on it. Looks like there is a $50.00 deductable, sled must have less then 3000 miles on it. offer will expire June 30 2012. Also the sled must be registered to you in polaris's system.

wyoboy

Reaction score
Just bought a new 2010 Polaris 800 RMK 155. Drove it on and off the trailer. Could not get it to idle long enough to drive back on trailer. Had it looked at (in the yard). Naturally, it started for the mechanic. Took it on it's 1st ride. Power surged for 5.0 miles up the trail. Died at first play spot. Would not idle. Later cranked, lost power, and continually backfired with throttle. Towed out.

meyerx

Reaction score
I have a 2010 Polaris 700 RMK. It has ~250 miles on it.
Yesterday, part way through our ride the dash lights went out and
the headlight dimmed, then a minute or 2 later the headlight went out.
Then shortly after the sled would turn off. Restart and repeat all
the way back to the truck.
After finding this thread, i went and checked the regulator part number.
It has 4012476 on it.
Based on this thread's info i need to take it into the dealer and
have a new updated one put on (4012930).

I couldn't find the service bulletin info mentioned, so....
Are there any other rmk known electrical problems that could also exibit this
problem? Or is my outdated regulator most likely the definite issue?

Thanks for the info!

Dino

Reaction score
I have a brand new 2010 assault sitting in the garage. Do i dare take it out?:confused:
My 010 D8 has had no electrical BS yet....ride it like you stole it. I did move the capacator onto the air box...hope i dont have greif....clutching is bad enough. Dino

davermk

Reaction score
I have a brand new 2010 assault sitting in the garage. Do i dare take it out?:confused:

My advise would be to take it out asap. So if it is bad like mine was, you will be able to get it replaced before the good snow is here. My VR failed with 1.2 hrs. on the sled. Aprox 12 miles. The dealer replaced it with part # 4012476. They assured me that this was the updated part. even thought im pretty sure that this # was the same part # that had come out of the sled. The service drpartment said that it might be the same part number but it is the updated version

Smithys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought a 2010 700 RMK for the wife this fall. Took it out yesterday for it's first ride. Sled was great until we got about 25-30kms into the bush. Then sled started to loose power, dash lights went out, headlight went out. Sled would start but would only run for a couple of minutes before it would shut down. Trip back to the trailer took about 2.5 hrs. Sled died completely so we had to tow it the last 2-3 kms.
Taking the sled back to the dealer to get it fixed.

Smithys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought a 2010 700 RMK for the wife this fall. Took it out yesterday for it's first ride. Sled was great until we got about 25-30kms into the bush. Then sled started to loose power, dash lights went out, headlight went out. Sled would start but would only run for a couple of minutes before it would shut down. Trip back to the trailer took about 2.5 hrs. Sled died completely so we had to tow it the last 2-3 kms.
Taking the sled back to the dealer to get it fixed.

Took the sled to Mountain Toys in Cochrane on Monday and dropped it off. Got a call from the dealer this afternoon and the sled was fixed ready to be picked up. The voltage regulator and ECU had to be replaced. The staff at Mountain Toys in Cochrane is great to deal..Thanks!!

f250highboy1976

Reaction score
had this happen to my 2010 dragon 800 (638 miles) on thursday, sled would be fine for awhile then the display would go followed by the headlight, then would die completely, let it cool off and you could ride another mile then all over again, the longer you let it sit the longer it would run. took it to the dealer yesterday and they changed the voltage regulator. they said that the company they were using to make them changed (prob so they could save 1 cent per regulator) but they have a different supplier now so hopefully it will fix the problem they also said if you run it too long it can damage the ecm in the process. havent taken it back out to verify the repair yet but will next weekend and report back

coloradoRider

Reaction score
I have a 09 Dragon fresh out of the shop for the vr problem. Seems like Polaris just keeps problems! All I know is getting towed out and reading the same problems when I get home about other peeps getting towed out is just sad... POLARIS where are you at??

cozipko

Reaction score
Just bought a new 2010 RMK 600, voltage erg lasted 48 miles and started acting up, with dimming of the headlight and then the dash going out and then poor power and then shut down. It would restart fine and dead within a minute. Dealer put a new VR in, not surety part # but seems to work fine. Mechanic told me that he has changed a few of these. He told me not to run the sled if it acts up again, there could be voltage spikes and knock out more electrical down the line.

Top Bottom