2010 Polaris Sportsman 400 HO - 4x4 Issues

cementfist27

Reaction score
The wife's machine seems to be having issues with the 4x4 engaging as of late. We were riding in water a while back and it stopped working briefly. After riding it around for a while after it worked again. Went out this weekend and she was in some mud and had to throttle through it. The back tires were spinning, but nothing from the front. Still does not work today. Does anyone have any suggestions on what this may be? I would love to troubleshoot this before I get milked at the local Polaris dealer. Thanks !

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
probably already checked this but just had issues with the little guys hawkeye and discovered it was actually a worn yolk on the front drive shaft thank goodness the splines on the output shaft coming out of the engine were harder than the yolk resulting in simply replacing front drive shaft about $200

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whens the last time the fluid was changed? could simply be dirty fluid. Also take a test light and check for 12v at the plug going to the front dif.

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
its the display module, remove the module and you will likely find water and corrosion in the back. but if you want to check the wire is a brown with white stripe coming from the back of the display module

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not being a dick but I will NEVER EVER own another Polaris quad again "I think" ......mainly cuz the 1st and last one left me stranded more times than not. BRUTAL luck with it OUCH. Im just a bit touchy on the subject still is all :D

Last edited:

cementfist27

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Ill have a look at it over the next couple of nights and see what I can do.

Top Bottom