2010 nytro overheating. Help please

Farmerchris3

Reaction score
I have recently bought a nytro and have been having overheating problems. Snow conditions are good as is the outside temp but the warning and temp light have come on several limes now. I checked the coolant line with a temp gun and the one going to the engine is at 220f and the one coming into the top of the thermostat is at 158f when the light comes on. I have also had the light come on at 173f as well. Anyone have any ideas or no a good way to bleed the coolant system. I also notice when the machine is running and I have the rad cap off coolant will leak out of the rad but I didn't see any air bubbles. Is this normal.

slednk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hook the front end on ur tractor ... Watch out for bail forks and tip er straight up in the air for a bit... then set er down and check to see if ur antifreeze/coolant level went down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KatMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have recently bought a nytro and have been having overheating problems. Snow conditions are good as is the outside temp but the warning and temp light have come on several limes now. I checked the coolant line with a temp gun and the one going to the engine is at 220f and the one coming into the top of the thermostat is at 158f when the light comes on. I have also had the light come on at 173f as well. Anyone have any ideas or no a good way to bleed the coolant system. I also notice when the machine is running and I have the rad cap off coolant will leak out of the rad but I didn't see any air bubbles. Is this normal.

Nytro, thats a yammy right? did you know yammaha hasnt made a two stroke in over ten years?

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get the front end up in the air on a snow bank or tilt trailer. Then run it with the cap off until the thermostat opens that should get any air to come out if the rear heat exchangers.

Farmerchris3

Reaction score
Hopefully I will have my thermostat today and I am also putting in new antifreeze. Going to use a 50/50 mix. The old antifreeze tested really strong. My tester goes to -43 and it tested right at the top. I will try your suggestions. Thanks for the info.

Farmerchris3

Reaction score
Installed new thermostat and coolant. Ran the sled with cap off and had a bunch of air bubbles come out. Hottest temp I got was 195 idling and seemed like it was circulating the coolant. The fan also cut in. Next step is test ride I guess. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Installed new thermostat and coolant. Ran the sled with cap off and had a bunch of air bubbles come out. Hottest temp I got was 195 idling and seemed like it was circulating the coolant. The fan also cut in. Next step is test ride I guess. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

did you have the front of the sled elevated?

Farmerchris3

Reaction score
no I just had it on the ground. I took it for a little rip tonight about 20 miles in -7c and it seemed to run good with no light coming on. Tomorrow will be the real test with a longer trip planed, about 180 miles in total. Fingers are still crossed.

Farmerchris3

Reaction score
Took it out yesterday -5c and seemed to run good for about 20 miles then started overheating again. Took the good off and the sled ran good the rest of the day. Did 180 miles in total. So I guessing that there isn't enough air flow through the rad. My buddies nytro ran quite a bit cooler all day and the only difference between machines is mine is a xtx and his is a Rtx. He also has the factory air box and mine has k&n filters a full hindle exhaust and a power commander v on it. So I build a deflector out of tin and installed it to direct the air at the rad as the factory air box is slanted right towards the rad as well. This is the next thing I am going to try.

Farmerchris3

Reaction score
think I found the problem, the previous owner had the entire frame and skid powder coated including the heat exchange, used chisel and gasket remover and removed the paint from the heat exchanger and bingo, no more heat light on. Did 120 miles today in 0 degree celcius weather and no heat light at all on the trip.

Top Bottom