2009 summit x no restart after shutdown

hosmersled

Reaction score
Our 09 Summit 800 has been towed out twice now.....
Will not restart after shutting off...no spark
In both cases it had been stopping and starting ok.
After towing out it started fine next day.
We took it in to the dealer and of course it works fine...they did a full check and could find nothing wrong.

I talked to one other owner who had the same problem;after changing coils,stator and ecm they replaced the wiring harness and cured the problem...he thinks.

Has anyone had a wiring harness/no restart problem on a similar unit?

Thanks

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you have a short to ground somewhere, or a wire rubbed through / pinched somewhere...time to dig out the multimeter and check resistance of the harness, or inspect every bend, turn, etc...

RMAC

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my sled, after a few hours of troubleshooting and changing out every electrical part between mine and another 09 xp we found that the voltage regulator was the problem. My starter was wrecked and engaging at about 6000 rpm and was back feeding voltage. I changed out the voltage regulator and haven't had a problem since! Hope this helps you out!

gpsjay

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my sled, after a few hours of troubleshooting and changing out every electrical part between mine and another 09 xp we found that the voltage regulator was the problem. My starter was wrecked and engaging at about 6000 rpm and was back feeding voltage. I changed out the voltage regulator and haven't had a problem since! Hope this helps you out!

Same problem. Sled is currently back in the mountains and I plan to retrieve it tomorrow. Hopefully I can fix and ride out, next will be trying to tow it from several bowls back in. Lastly I'm taking a Sat phone to call a heli if needed.
At this point Dealerships think it is the module that the key fits on to. It may have either come apart at the back, faulty, or a wire finally gave. We had a look under there on the hill but did not see anything wrong.

Any suggestions on what parts to take up there would be appreciated.
FYI - no electric start on the sled.

Dmf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check the red wire coming out of your voltage regulater by the plug, the 09's were famous for rubbing on the chassis shorting them out. it wouldnt happend to be the 09 in the back of beaver creek?? was out there on saturday way back, seen a 09 sitting there. you were riding with a guy on a blue rev

Dmf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check the red wire coming out of your voltage regulater by the plug, the 09's were famous for rubbing on the chassis shorting them out. it wouldnt happend to be the 09 in the back of beaver creek?? was out there on saturday way back, seen a 09 sitting there. you were riding with a guy on a blue rev

just bring a flat blade screw driver and pry under the wires to lift them up off chassis and pull the cord, youll know right away

gpsjay

Reaction score

Yes, that was me. Went back yesterday. Started right up. Drove 3/4 the way out then it quit after stopping just after a climb. 6 off us Tinkered with it for awhile and it started again. Drove back to the truck. Still no solution.

Dmf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, that was me. Went back yesterday. Started right up. Drove 3/4 the way out then it quit after stopping just after a climb. 6 off us Tinkered with it for awhile and it started again. Drove back to the truck. Still no solution.

so its definamtly the red wire by your voltage regulator plug see it all the time, i work at a dealership

hosmersled

Reaction score
so its definamtly the red wire by your voltage regulator plug see it all the time, i work at a dealership
Interesting...and thanks
I sent it over to the dealer in Lethbridge and they could find nothing wrong ...said they had never heard of the problem.
I will pick it up and check the red wire!!!!

finndoo

Reaction score
Check the connector on the back of the coil too. My connector looked good but the wire was actually broken where it is crimped under the plastic. Mine would run then not run similar to yours.It is easiest to check by pulling the rear of the air box out giving you lots of room to the rear of the coil. May not be your problem but easy to check and eliminate. Good luck

Dmf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what you come up with?? also as finndoo said above happens just as much, seen it on a 2012 power tec

Top Bottom