2009 M8 tether cord wiring???

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows how to wire in the tether cord on an 09 m8. It's nothing like my buddies 08. I went to the ignition switch at first, but it kept running after I pulled the cord lol. It ain't no yamaha of just splicing into the brown wire!

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows how to wire in the tether cord on an 09 m8. It's nothing like my buddies 08. I went to the ignition switch at first, but it kept running after I pulled the cord lol. It ain't no yamaha of just splicing into the brown wire!

Check with the dealer. I have a 2004 1M 900. It runs when the ignition is open circuit. Typical tethers open circuit when pulled, so the machine continues to run. You might need a tether that 'closes' the circuit when pulled?

Jeff K

Reaction score
If you get the tether kit from an AC dealer (PN# 4639-140) it is completely plug and play. Unplug the connector that comes from the ignition switch and plug the tether kit into the two cables just unplugged. Just installed one on my 09 and it works perfectly.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok im gunna have to get that one then. The one I have is for an arctic cat, but its by an aftermarket company. Thanks a lot guys!

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
should be able to tie it into the plug under ur hood. on the clutch side of your steering stem..... the cat one just plugs in....

Ra1kag3

Reaction score
Have a tether, #0639-540, is this the one for M8 from `07? Its not plug`n`play as i can see.....:confused:

Paul2727

Reaction score
Installed a ProArmor tether on my 2009 M8. Decided to mount it on the vertical steering column, directly behind the gas cap. Wrapped about 4 layers of electrical tape on the steering column so the ProArmor plastic clamp would fit sung. The Arctic cross bar cushion fits above it, without any modification.

Wiring: From the stock Arctic kill switch on the right hand grip, two wires go down into the wiring harness, one wire is black with a dark blue stripe, and the other wire is purple with a red stripe. The small plug shown disconnected below is inside the kill switch. and It's tough to get the kill switch back together. Recommend not messing with it.

The key switch has a black wire and a purple wire (no stripes), which plug into the wire harness about 10 inches from the switch. After that plug, the wires change color to the same as the kill switch (black with dark blue, and purple with red). Those wires go down into the wiring harness. It's easy to tap into the key switch wires because you can unplug it and get it away from the machine to do the splicing.

The kill switch and the key switch both operate the same way, by shorting the two wires together, to kill the spark. Anything that makes a connection between those two wires will kill the engine. My new ProArmor tether is connected to the two wires coming off the key switch, because that was the easiest place to get at. When the ProArmor is activated (when I fall off), the ProArmor switch will close and ground the ignition.

Hope that helps others installing a non-Arctic tether.

Attachments

• PICT2709.JPG
    PICT2709.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 185
  • PICT2702.JPG
    PICT2702.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 225
  • PICT2704.JPG
    PICT2704.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 190
  • PICT2706.JPG
    PICT2706.JPG