2009 M1000 top end question??

Deasoninc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am runnin a 09 M1000 162. It has a y pipe upgrade and a can. Nitrous is installed but has not been used to date. The sled has 1300km on it. My question is should the top end already have to be redone on this unit? Was told from a dealer that that is a huge amount of km on the sled and it should be done. They said that one of the rings is seized I get that this happens. But this sled isn't a year old !! Still under warranty!! Am I wrong in thinking I should be getting more km out of the top end? I am very anal about how I take care of my sled. Always warmed up etc. I have also never over heated it. Let me know what you all think.

Thanks in advance.

SledJunky

Reaction score
It would be good to check your top end but no you dont need to change it if everything looksgood. If your say were runnin all of the goodies and pushn big horse power then yes you should change it every 500 miles. Its a good way to pervent a real real big issue. [ cheap insurance]

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I talked to one guy that rebuilt his at 15000 kms and it was just for reliability. At 1300km you will not need a top end the eng is pretty much stock. So unless something failed or it cold seized you should be good to go. A simple compression test will tell you if there are any problems. Sounds like the dealer shop is a little slow to me. I have been riding Cats since the 70s and since 76 when A/C switched to Suzuki i have found some of the engines take up to 800km to reach full power from break in so yours is just broke in. I to have a M1K with more kms than yours and have not even thought about a rebuild .Hope this helps.

Deasoninc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with you. I have other cats with over 6k and never missed a beat. If the ring is siezed like they said it should be changed ? But I would think that this would be covered under the warranty no?

apex69

Reaction score
how do they know there is a ring sized did they tear it down and i would think if its not coverd id find a new dealor

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would just pull the y pipe and have look into the cylinders...
we have m1000's here with over 4000kms with full pipe kits....
never missed a beat....

Deasoninc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They said they looked in the y pipe and could see the siezed ring. I will look myself when I get it home. Something just seams fishy with these guys. I have used then for years and had no other issues. But now there is all new people in the service area and they seam to want to sell ya more the. Take care of you. I will also check the compresion.

Deasoninc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I went and bought the new parts to do the top end and took the machine apart on Wed. We did a compression test and pulled 125psi a cylinder. I could not find anything wrong with the rings or the cylinders!! I called the mechanic to see if maybe he looked at someone else's sled and thought it was mine. He reassured me that it was mine he was looking at and that possible the ring freed up from there to my home. Said maybe from bouncing in the trailer??:nono: I never ran the sled at all before tearing it down. When I went in today to return the parts all I got was a shoulder shrug?? WTF do these service people think that the rest of the world is dumb!!! Now in my mind I feel as if Echo was trying to make a quick sale thinking I would not second guess them?? I don't know if anyone else has had these issues with them but I am NOT impressed and will not likely do anymore work through them. I am not here to bash them as I have had many good years with them and have recommended them to many a sledder. In a time when cash flow is low for alot of people you think you would do your best to satisfy the customers not screw them!!! Funny a shrug of the shoulders and too proud to admit that maybe ya made a mistake. A mistake I can forgive , try to fawk me, unforgivable!! Sorry for the rant:mad:

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I went and bought the new parts to do the top end and took the machine apart on Wed. We did a compression test and pulled 125psi a cylinder. I could not find anything wrong with the rings or the cylinders!! I called the mechanic to see if maybe he looked at someone else's sled and thought it was mine. He reassured me that it was mine he was looking at and that possible the ring freed up from there to my home. Said maybe from bouncing in the trailer??:nono: I never ran the sled at all before tearing it down. When I went in today to return the parts all I got was a shoulder shrug?? WTF do these service people think that the rest of the world is dumb!!! Now in my mind I feel as if Echo was trying to make a quick sale thinking I would not second guess them?? I don't know if anyone else has had these issues with them but I am NOT impressed and will not likely do anymore work through them. I am not here to bash them as I have had many good years with them and have recommended them to many a sledder. In a time when cash flow is low for alot of people you think you would do your best to satisfy the customers not screw them!!! Funny a shrug of the shoulders and too proud to admit that maybe ya made a mistake. A mistake I can forgive , try to fawk me, unforgivable!! Sorry for the rant:mad:

sorry to hear about your bad experience with these guys. Sounds to me like they were trying to sand bag you and you caught them with their fingers in the cookie jar. Good for you. anytime you need some info for your sled come to this site first. Lots of good peeps here more than willing to give you advice and experiences. Then when you go to you dealer you are educated and wiser to any chit they may pull.

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the mechanic says 1300kms is alot for a top end then he is a idiot. If he says your ring unseized by bouncing on the trailer then he is more of an idiot. If I were you I would talk to the boss and tell them exactly why you will never do business there again.

Deasoninc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh I won't do any business there again that's for sure. I asked to see the owner when I was there and he was not in that day.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would speak to the manager cuz that dude is a moron. A new set of pistons every 1300km is retarded. 125 psi sounds low on a 1000 but i don't know cats at all.

Deasoninc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I talked to another dealer and 125 is what they are getting outa the box. Since this happened I have put on close to 1000 k with out so much as a hiccup. Also I got a PM from another fella on this site that read this post and questioned ECHO when they told him the same story!!! I mean if you are going to try and F#$K someone you should at least change up your story!! Anyways he took it home and checked it and there was nothing wrong with his sled as well. Thats two guys being told the same story???? What are the odds of that?? The other fella I believe was talking about maybe a turboed sled or something similar I think. That's why he said you may have to change them every 500miles.

Top Bottom