2009 850xp tires

bod13

Reaction score
I think I have seen this in other posts, but I can't seem to find them. I'm looking at upgrading the stock tires to Zilla's on my 2009 850xp. I would prefer to use the stock rims. I think the 27" are too wide for the stock rims at 10" and 12" front and rear, so it will be either 26" or 28" (9" and 11" front and rear). Should I go with the 26" (same as stock) or the bigger 28"? Do I have to use spacers or bend the sway bar to get them to fit with stock rims? I'm also worried about breaking things with the taller tires. Any suggestions?

Thanks

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
12 will for sure not fit on stock rims without hitting the sway bar. It seems to be hit and miss with the 11" tires to which fit. I have seen some tires that will and other that won't.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fit 12s with stock rims. have to madify the sway bar though. If you undo the sway bar from the links and flip it around so it sticks out the back and use a come along to bend it inward. It will flex a quite abit befor it will acually stay bent. just use a measuing tape and do it little at a time tighting more each time. saves from haveing to use wheel spacers. And i havent had any problem from doing it. I have 27s on the quad but should fit 28s no problem.

Sammy

Reaction score
I have 27" zillas on stock rims, you will need to bend the sway bar for clearance. Went with the 27' because they come in 10"& 12" wide. Bending the sway bar is a simple thing to do and cheaper than buying spacers.

bod13

Reaction score
Why did you go with the even wider 27" tires? Did you not have to bend the sway bar even more? Am I going to need a clutch kit with the 28"? Does anyone have a link to a post that explains how to do the sway bar mod?

Thanks

bod13

Reaction score
Where's the cheapest place to buy them? I've heard Casterland in Calgary, but I would have thought you could get them cheaper off the web somewhere out of the states?

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no need for a clutch kit with 28's. I ran my 30" with no clutch kit and the quad didn't even know they were there.

bod13

Reaction score
I think I will go with the 28's then. It looks like they actually measure a bit smaller from what I've ready anyway. I found the sway bar mod on Highlifter. Doesn't seem too hard. I'll see what there is for clearance first before I do it. What are you guys using for fluids in your XP's? Do I have to buy the expensive Polaris stuff from the dealer or are there cheaper substitutes? Thanks again for all you help.:beer:

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would only use polaris oils. you spend how much on the quad. why cheap out on the most important thing for them.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had bad luck on older machines use different fluids. now i just use polaris fluids and really it aint that much more money. I also dont like the idea of spcers unless you have lifted it and need to widen it back out. just make a wide machine even wider, would recomend the sway bar mod.

denseleit

Reaction score
28's fit no problem no bending or anything. You could probably get away with stock clutching and gearing........but if you clutch it and gear it like I did, you can go everywhere(almost) in high and still go 120kmph. I'm still on the stock belt with just under 3000kms and 2500 of those with 28's. That and the ability to hang the fronts in the air at will...

Top Bottom