2009 800 air box mods

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I Snorkled mine ( middle of air box to either side of the dash ) and added a flow rite on the back mag side of the air box.

No more starving for air.

from my HTC

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357868674813.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357868674813.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 543

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
from my HTC

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357868797487.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357868797487.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 469

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got JC Customs air box mods, seem to work well. Never had a bog issue. He's outta Idaho I think, seen him on another forum. Good product, have his vent kit as well.

DOAKLEY16

Reaction score
right on i like the snorkle idea. i just put in a 860 kit and high comp head new clutch, now thinken on adding more air

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I Snorkled mine ( middle of air box to either side of the dash ) and added a flow rite on the back mag side of the air box.

No more starving for air.

from my HTC
nice job. looks familiar...:D

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had that done this time last year tee.

But with the stock sock and snorkle it would still plug a bit and bog.

So I added a 2 inch frog screen to the mag side of the air box. Put Velcro on the out side and made a cover that just peels on and off.

Not sure if I wanted it open all the time ...

With the three place it works 100% now

from my HTC

treeboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any of these air intake mods you should be re jetting and adding shims, more air = leaner, they are lean enough in the mid range already. Adding just extra air you will start seeing over 1300 on etgs, pending on the size air vents.
What is your set up so far.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any of these air intake mods you should be re jetting and adding shims, more air = leaner, they are lean enough in the mid range already. Adding just extra air you will start seeing over 1300 on etgs, pending on the size air vents.
What is your set up so far.
I run koso duals on my '08. in the crazy lean midrange mine gets to 1260 if I hold it there. no re-jetting required on mine anyways.

pics001Medium.jpg

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not realy adding extra air. Just more places to draw from.

The xp upper air box is a big restriction.

The lower bottle necks down to fit and restricts also.

from my HTC

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not realy adding extra air. Just more places to draw from.

The xp upper air box is a big restriction.

The lower bottle necks down to fit and restricts also.

from my HTC
exactly. that is why I made the air enter the upper airbox instead of putting holes in the lower airbox closer to the carbs. there is a sensor where the upper connects to the bottleneck of the lower airbox, didn't want to bypass that sensor by pulling air from behind it. air will take the easiest course of entry, the majority will come from the lower holes into the engine where there is less restriction.

treeboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All the air vents that I have done on the r's all have been on the lower box. The very first one was 2 2 1/4 holes in the box, with no rejetting we saw over 1300 on the etg's. After rejet 500 mains and needle shims around low 1200 and a few extra hp and no bogging in the powder. A bunch others have been done close to the same but with 4 tpi's in the lower box. No problems with the sensors. All of those sleds are still going strong. Those are my experiences so far. Have not done a etec yet, but I have herd that they don't like this mod. Time will tell on that.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All the air vents that I have done on the r's all have been on the lower box. The very first one was 2 2 1/4 holes in the box, with no rejetting we saw over 1300 on the etg's. After rejet 500 mains and needle shims around low 1200 and a few extra hp and no bogging in the powder. A bunch others have been done close to the same but with 4 tpi's in the lower box. No problems with the sensors. All of those sleds are still going strong. Those are my experiences so far. Have not done a etec yet, but I have herd that they don't like this mod. Time will tell on that.

The problem with the etec there is no MAF. Adding more air (even though Tex says it doesn't) can not be compensated with a stock etec.

The Ptek)and etec) airbox is restrictive. The intake tube is also very restrictive. Adding intakes to the lower airbox will allow more airflow. More air requires more fuel and shimming the needle to fix the leaner mid range is recommended. We all know not every sled is the same. Some sleds out there may not need the shimming.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the two flowrites in the back of my lower airbox. Sealed off the side panel and drilled holes so it sucks air from outside rather than hot belt air. Made a HUGE difference. Been running that setup for two seasons and no problems at all. I dont know how much fuel I had to add because I did a head at the same time. I had to go to WAY bigger jetting than the head manufacturer recommended so maybe it was the airbox? Sled runs like a raped ape.

DOAKLEY16.......are you Randy's son? Im from Creston too.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just did the Bikeman performer kit on my 09. Before this on everything stock I was bogging in powder so made my own 1" flowrites in the bottom box, bog gone but had the famous mid range lean condition and my plug and domes where always black and wet. Now with this kit it came with 2" flowrites which I again made my own but bigger then what I had, also jetting down two from stock to a 460 and shimmed the needle 20thou also from the kit, have only taken it for a run around here but my plugs are almost cardboard brown and everything seems to run good.

I'm worried about jetting down that far for elevation and around here.

Top Bottom