2009/2010 gmc

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I noticed a while back that the front and rear bumpers on my 2010 gmc 2500 are rusting. Every little rock knick has a rust ring and lots of spots where there are no knicks is rusting!! I have seen this on 2009 half tons, 3/4 tons as well as 2010 models. I was told today by chev in lloydminster that they will replace my bumpers and running boards but only once as GM tells them that the rust is caused by the "truck owner" not drying the chrome bumpers after washing the vehical. Oh....and they only put one layer of chrome on where as before they would use 3. Not very happy right now, i only have 45,000km on the truck and i know the new bumpers are going to rust the same. I will post pics as soon as i take some.:mad:

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I noticed a while back that the front and rear bumpers on my 2010 gmc 2500 are rusting. Every little rock knick has a rust ring and lots of spots where there are no knicks is rusting!! I have seen this on 2009 half tons, 3/4 tons as well as 2010 models. I was told today by chev in lloydminster that they will replace my bumpers and running boards but only once as GM tells them that the rust is caused by the "truck owner" not drying the chrome bumpers after washing the vehical. Oh....and they only put one layer of chrome on where as before they would use 3. Not very happy right now, i only have 45,000km on the truck and i know the new bumpers are going to rust the same. I will post pics as soon as i take some.:mad:
Ask the dealer to give yu the parts and when your done with the truck swap em out for the new.they might go for that as the old ones probably end up in the scrap bin anyway.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ask the dealer to give yu the parts and when your done with the truck swap em out for the new.they might go for that as the old ones probably end up in the scrap bin anyway.

That is my plan right now. I'm guessing that they will tell me that the old ones have to be shipped back to GM to inspect. They probably replate them and sell them as new.

sledhead800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my truck same thing too but it's just the front on my truck i went to the dealer and they said it was rock chips and they could not get it on warranty they said i had to buy one if i wanted a new one i said bs. I told the guy to bad u can't drive 70 thousand dollar truck in the winter time because it's made of sugar, piss me right off my step dad got a new ford same thing happen to him but he went to the ford dealer and told them that his bumper was rusting and with no ? ask they put a new bumper on, next time i buys a new truck i am going with the ford just because the warranty is good.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its the same thing on all of them, very cheap and thin chrome coating so its going to rust, should be covered under the rust warranty if not the body. If they wont warranty it find another dealer. I just got my visors replaced because the airbag label was peeling, I got bored on a long drive and tried to remove the label but found it was stuck on there pretty good, went in and complained and they just replaced them:d

Metalfusion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 09' and my brothers 10' Dodges are both doing the same thing. Dodge wont warrenty either. Blaming it on lack of vehicle maitenance. Both happened with under 25,000km's. Warranty dept states polishing the bumpers should be part of the regular maintenance.

I cant find that anywhere in the owners manual though.

Fawk You DODGE....Ill be buying a Ford!!!!!!

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Yep. Big problem with poor plating
My wheels all peeled. But gm replaced them. My bumpers aren't doing it but they probably will

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 09' and my brothers 10' Dodges are both doing the same thing. Dodge wont warrenty either. Blaming it on lack of vehicle maitenance. Both happened with under 25,000km's. Warranty dept states polishing the bumpers should be part of the regular maintenance.

I cant find that anywhere in the owners manual though.

Fawk You DODGE....Ill be buying a Ford!!!!!!

I guess i will be polishing my bumpers every time it rains!! What BS, its pretty sad when you see a 2001 half ton bush truck thats beat up but the bumpers are still shiny and the new trucks are rusting. I'm also going to get my running boards armorthaned because they said if they won't warrenty if there are any rock chips.

Last edited:

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1. is the front bumper, kinda hard to see but its peppered with pin head size dots
2. rear bumper, the picture speaks volumes!!

I hope they put more than on coat of paint on it.......

Attachments

• front bumper.jpg
    front bumper.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 110
  • rear bumper.jpg
    rear bumper.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 106

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is my plan right now. I'm guessing that they will tell me that the old ones have to be shipped back to GM to inspect. They probably replate them and sell them as new.
Yeah that sucks.........you would think with todays technology and corrosion inhibitors that they could do a better job.......or at the least do a good chrome job....the old chrome process lasted forever........i guess if you save a couple bucks on a bumper as a manufacturer ........geez!

funtimes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not trying to hi-jack, my new ford is starting to get little signs of rust showing through the paint on the doors !!!! Can't wait to hear what they tell me about that......

bighiter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2010 dirtymax is doing that on the front bumper where it looks like there was a few rock chips. Truck only has 38000kms. MY moms 2010 silverado 1500 looks worst than the picture above of the rear bumper, and it only has 3000 kms. Going to take them both in for warranty once winters done hoopefully.

My 98 6.5 TD had 300 000kms and the bumpers looked brand new.

(oh and by the way i hand wash my truck and shammy it every time its even slightly dirty.. So they can go F*%^* themselves if they say its due to lack of maintenance)

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm getting mine powder coated in the summer.

I am looking at doing the same thing, i just don't know if i should make it the same color as my truck or go black. My old 81 chevy bumpers still shine and its been sitting in a pasture for 5-6 years.

Top Bottom