2008 XP Trouble starting

Summit800_Andy

Reaction score
I am posting this for my friend. He has a 08 Summit and when we got it out for the first ride of the year yesterday it took 50+ pulls to get it started up! Once it was warm all was good... until he rolled it and then it wouldnt start worth ch!t! Finally got it started 30 mins later. Just wondering what anyone thinks the problem is?

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or it could have a bunch of rotten gas in the carbs from sitting all summer. Might be flooding itself when its sitting. A good carb cleaning is never a bad thing to do and its not that hard.

team-x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could to a compression test to see what the numbers are like. Depending on how it was stored, it could have sucked some sediment up off the bottom of the float bowls and it could be clogging the jets in the carbs. Figure out which of the 3 is causing you a non start, Air, Fuel, or Sprak. Once you know which of the 3 your lacking, its easier to go from there. If the plugs are dry in the holes you don't have fuel, if their soaking wet, check to see if you have a good bright blue spark. If its finiky with movement like rolling it, my guess is the carbs are dirty and or the needle and seat are sticking causing it to food out, then giving it enough time they ether sorted themselves out or the fuel just evaporated/went thought the motor with all that pulling.

mountainhunter

Reaction score
Ditto to both other comments. It could also have low compression. If you get down to less than 90 PSI they will run but will be a real pain to start especially when warm or flooded.
had a 09 go down twice . both times it got so it would not start after being flooded , not enough compression to fire the wet engine .

Top Bottom