2008 Xp 800

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Today my brother and I were fumbling through putting the jerry can on his sled....nightmare. But got through it. Read some were about oil causing belts to blow. So I thought I would check it while we had stuff out....Unbelievable the shives were dripping with oil. We used brake clean to clean off the shives and hot soapy water on the belt. Does anyone know if this is the right thing to do? Also the track was so tight that with the back end elevated we could barley turn the track. Way way to tight. Hard to believe a dealer would let this out the door. Funny when we picked it up it smoked like a bugger. Sales man said it just needs to be broke in... ya right. Any one else finding stuff like this.

renegade x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unfortunatly, most sled salesmen don't know s**t about the product they are selling.That being said Im sure there are acceptions,it would be nice to meet one,as I find that most of the time I'm telling them things about there product they dont even know.The brakecleen will take the oil off,acetone also works.Not sure about the soapy water,don't think it will hurt.

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
I read somewhere.... With attention to belt to clutch matting surfaces, Wash all new belts w/warm h20 & soap, Then rinse....... But I don't cause My bride told me to go to hell when I asked her to do the washing !!! LOL!... Kidding ladies ! :D

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Today my brother and I were fumbling through putting the jerry can on his sled....nightmare. But got through it. Read some were about oil causing belts to blow. So I thought I would check it while we had stuff out....Unbelievable the shives were dripping with oil. We used brake clean to clean off the shives and hot soapy water on the belt. Does anyone know if this is the right thing to do? Also the track was so tight that with the back end elevated we could barley turn the track. Way way to tight. Hard to believe a dealer would let this out the door. Funny when we picked it up it smoked like a bugger. Sales man said it just needs to be broke in... ya right. Any one else finding stuff like this.
I got an xp too and yes there is a film of protective oil on the clutches, the dealer is suppose to clean them before you get the sled. I don`t think you should have used Brake cleaner but its too late now. Make sure you take it somewhat easy on the belt for about 50kms There is something about it in your manual. The track should hang about 1.5 inches below the rails when hanging the rear end in the air. Again I think the manual tells you how much to set it. It maybe smoking more because of the extra oil that is suppose to be in the fuel or because of the breakin time needed. Mine seem to smoke less now. So if you haven`t put extra oil in the fuel, make sure you do it.

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also you may want to check the date when your sled was made. I think the cut off was Sept 15 for the heated grip update. I guess the ones manufactured before this date has faulty heated grips. Then remove the plastic piece around the belt cover for extra cooling.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Soapy water on new belt ...good,acetone, not brakeclean on sheaves(According to 'That Girl racing") when I bought my sled gealer put oil in gas tank just in case oil pump adjustment bad. Trouble understanding: sorry, just home from company christmas party, Drunk.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also you may want to check the date when your sled was made. I think the cut off was Sept 15 for the heated grip update. I guess the ones manufactured before this date has faulty heated grips. Then remove the plastic piece around the belt cover for extra cooling.
I think I read Oct 15th, but I'm learning not to believe everything I read on the intrawebs....:D

Hitchguy

Reaction score
just wondering whatother issues people r having with the new xp 800 other than the heated grips? Went out yesterday for first ride on new gade x and low and behold the hand warmer on right side quit working:( one cold hand lol hard to ride without gas! also winshield well what they call windshield that piece of plastic they put on for looks really doesn't do much. other than that it ran fine.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I get the little extra oil on the first tank of fuel, keep things rich and oiled up on break in. But the oil on the sheaves and track you could play the violin on is unacceptable. The icing on the cake was when my brother was on the phone with the service guy at the dealer talking about other issues,so I told him to ask which tool we use to get the sheaves apart to get the belt off? "The manual was clear accros town at home" His answer was lock the brake on and spread sheaves apart by HAND?????????????????????????????????WTF??????????????????????? I said hang up now I do not want to here anything they have to say anymore. So we got it by a little trial and error. P.S I dont see the diff between "acetone" and "brake clean" it does not leave a resadue or film?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just got back from a 3 day trip to Chetwynd, my buddy's (crashnburn on here) right handwarmer stopped working but mine did not, his sled is number 150, and mine is 322. both are 146" X package Summits. put on a little over 60 miles in 2 days, I pulled one short cord from the belt at 15 miles, cut it off and never had another come out the rest of the trip. crashnburn toasted a belt at 66 miles, we were in 1-3 feet of fresh powder on both days. there were some guys out there yesterday from the dealership in Sexsmith (Stojan's Powersports) where crashnburn bought his sled, and they had 2 guys from BRP Quebec riding with them. they quizzed crashnburn about his issues and said they were aware of them, and a fix was on the way for the handwarmers and belt problems. overall the XP's performed flawlessly, crazy 10 foot diameter powder donuts and they climb like goats. way impressed so far

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Brake cleaner will "eat" into the plastic and turn the surface white in a matter of seconds.

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
well i dont own an xp but today i went riding with a buddy of mine that has one and his computer quit working on it now.....

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ECM module, or guages quit working? saw a few reports on dootalk about both.

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
the rpm and speedo were working just not the electric part like the digi screen...im only 15 and i dont know the fancy words

plumbum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.outlawatvclub.com
Brake cleaner will "eat" into the plastic and turn the surface white in a matter of seconds.

there is a product that i used to use in the rc world that is safe on plastics. it basically is brakeclean but with inhibitors to prevent any issues with the plastics.the only ingredient i could read that was different was called aliphatic hydrocarbons. i would still test it but 80% of the little nitro cars etc... are plastic and i never had an issue with it. it is made by hpi and there is another make too. anyway the hpi stuff is called nitro clean or something close to that. it is about $8 a can and you can pick it up at any hobby shop. i go to a place in morinville called brightside hobbies, ask for don or deb, they will help you out. and just so you know i used another product by cdn tire too. it never cuased any problems for me. anyway it was the regular brake cleaner. not the professional cleaner. the professional has chlorine in it i think and it did eat some plastic on one of my remote control cars. another sure fire way to clean greasy dirty surfaces and not have to worry is simple green. nobody i know has had any problems with simple green but you have to scrub to clean instead of spray and let it dry.

Last edited:

MoFoREVxp154

Reaction score
I get the little extra oil on the first tank of fuel, keep things rich and oiled up on break in. But the oil on the sheaves and track you could play the violin on is unacceptable. The icing on the cake was when my brother was on the phone with the service guy at the dealer talking about other issues,so I told him to ask which tool we use to get the sheaves apart to get the belt off? "The manual was clear accros town at home" His answer was lock the brake on and spread sheaves apart by HAND?????????????????????????????????WTF??????????????????????? I said hang up now I do not want to here anything they have to say anymore. So we got it by a little trial and error. P.S I dont see the diff between "acetone" and "brake clean" it does not leave a resadue or film?

Find a new dealer

MoFoREVxp154

Reaction score
And I forgot to add.....If ur looking for the proper tool...Try opening ur eyse and look and the tool kit holder for PROPER belt change/adjustment procedures.......BIG WHITE sticker.

MoFoREVxp154

Reaction score
OUCH!!! That kind of hurt

Sorry....Didn't mean for it to hurt..?..Im a little stressed out from setting up, accessorising, servicing and repairing these sleds already. Makes me want winter 2B over already and not even excited to ride....at least till I get 100 ft of air. Then Ill feel beter.

P.S. Brake clean is good to use to clean the clutches.....Just dont be a FOO and spray it all over the clutches. Spray it on a rag then wipe.

Top Bottom