2008 Summit clutch tools help

davezooman

Reaction score
Website
www.mudfreaksatvclub.webs.com
Hey there!
So I am doing some work on the 800, and I am in need of a couple of specialty tools, 1-Top Gear Alignment tool and 1-clutch spring tool. Any ideas? I'm in the Edmonton area of where I can find these items to either purchase or rent?
Thanks for the help!
D

mattlynde12

Reaction score
U can get by without the gear alignment tool and just remove the chaincase cover. I did it that way for a long time before I bought the tool. Plus it is a good idea to check your chain and gears over. For the clutch spring tool are u talking primary or secondary? For the primary u can just use a 16" peace of 1/2 all thread with a couple washer s and nuts.

coolcam

Reaction score
If your only doing your primary, you won't have to worry about the gear alignment on secondary shaft.

You'll need a puller to get the clutch off, or use the water trick. I can explain that if you're interested.
Once it's off just run the all-thread through the clutch and snug up the nuts on either side. Pull the three bolts holding the bushing assembly on, then unthread the nuts to relieve spring pressure.
Make sure you don't run the nut all the way off the rod before the spring has lost all it's tension.
If you lost a roller in primary you're probably going to need a full rebuild. Good opportunity to put a kit in.

davezooman

Reaction score
Website
www.mudfreaksatvclub.webs.com
Okay, I am officially an idiot! It's not the primary, it's the secondary clutch! I just watched a video on the water trick, and that is pretty cool! However, it is the secondary helix I need to take apart. Sorry for the confusion...:confused:

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think I have a home made version of the tool you need. We built it to do those rollers on my buddies 2009.

I'll post a pic in a bit.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think I have a home made version of the tool you need. We built it to do those rollers on my buddies 2009.

I'll post a pic in a bit.

Here she is. Works great.

If you wanna borrow it, I will be in stony tomorrow evening. My boy has BMX racing there if the track is dry.
aafb8ff6bfd5d46c9672b8703671554f.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom