2008 m1000

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are everyones opinions on the above sled? I am looking at buying one. Are there any problems with this sled? thanks for any info!!

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I currently own an 07 M1000 with some upgrades. The rear suspension valving leaves much to be desired in my opinion (I had put an 08 skid in when they became available). Good torque, great trackspeed, heavier then the 09/10/11 M's due to mechanical reverse, rear section of tunnel, and skid weight. If you are going to keep it stock, your 09 M8 is a more enjoyable sled. If the price is right on the M1K, you can replace the track or turn it around, throw a pipeset and fuel controller on it (and swap over your RKT secondary), and you will have a reliable mountain sled that pulls like a tractor. In bone stock form they are not the best machine out there, but a little "massaging" goes a long way with this unit.
Other downsides: hard on clutches and motor mounts, and they like fuel - mine uses about 20% more fuel then my wife's M8 (which is also "massaged") PM me if you have any questions.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree, if you're only riding a stock sled, the M8 is a better route, but there's no massaged M8 that will run with a massaged M1.

killerrf

Reaction score
yes definitely put a pipe set, intake and fuel controller on it. that setup runs as reliable as stock yet way more power. should have come out from factory with at least that. the 1000 needs extra motor mounts to keep it in place. any mounts that are stock 09 or older with any amount of miles will be ripped or torn. with updated mounts and extras get use to a really vibrating sled... real bad. my mounts are gone every year. they are ripped, cracked or separating from the metal.

OLE 11

Reaction score
i just bought a 2008 with 400 miles,vent kit,tank bag,can,riser for $7000 and i love it!! the stock track is junk, i put 162" powerclaw,kijji for $500 with 0 miles and completley different sled. Going to put pipe set up,and fuel contoller on for next year! I was a doo guy-then a polaris guy, and now a CAT guy for life!

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i just bought a 2008 with 400 miles,vent kit,tank bag,can,riser for $7000 and i love it!! the stock track is junk, i put 162" powerclaw,kijji for $500 with 0 miles and completley different sled. Going to put pipe set up,and fuel contoller on for next year! I was a doo guy-then a polaris guy, and now a CAT guy for life!

Did you happen to pick that up at Dons speed parts?

I am trying to get away from any fuel controler. My M8 works really good at elevation but i think its too lean down low and i don't want to be playing with the boondocker box. I have been trying to find numbers for my setup and no one has been able to help.

killerrf

Reaction score
i have the power commander 3 usb but this box is super easy to use and once setup i dont make changes from 2000 to 7000 ft. set and forget it.

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really love my 08-m1000 sno pro. Purchased it because of reliability, used to be a doo guy but too many serious motor issues on the 800 ptek turned me away. The issues with the m1000 I can easily fix myself. I don`t find it heavy, I`m a bigger guy but I feel it handles better than a 75 lb lighter XP. The torque is forgiving .... The 08 diamond drive is not the best but like I mentioned earlier, something I can easily fix myself with an aftermarket if the day ever comes and mine ever piles up... however, I have yet to have issues with mine, so I am not sure if its even that big an issue. The belt usage and motor mounts is probably the first thing I would do. I added the linderman mount and have only eaten one belt in 600 mountian miles since. Previously, I have eaten 3 belts in less than 100 miles.

Best mods (bang for buck)

1- add motor mount
2- boss or new style seat
3- frogskins on airbox to help with those nut deep days
4- new track, just put a 2.5 inch camoextreme on mine ... there is a difference
5- clutching and pipe set ... just put a pipe set on mine so I can not comment on results ... but lots of good reviews.

OLE 11

Reaction score
bought it from a local guy. it came from don's!! he has got a couple m1000's there for sale! recommend going there the service is excellent and they accually give a ch!t!! Think there is one for $7500. Also house of thunder in camrose is giving them away for $9700 new for 09-10 check it out! These dealers a hurting no snow.

oly

Reaction score
Ya that's a good buy for $8! I would do that motor mount, 162" 2.5" Camo extreme with just some rail extensions and you will like. I have a m1000 08. I have about 4000km on it, 1000km of turbo km. Issues: motor mounts, belts, And seized a crank last year.. due to oil injection missed a squirt. Put some oil in tank ALWAYS just in case. I put Linderman motor mount on and I just went 450-500km running 250 ish HP on a belt, compared to 1 belt every 1.5 days! I had it slp piped, can and attidude box before and it was ok, did beat a stock M1000. But If your going to spend $900 bucks on pipe, $450 on box, $300 on can, $400 on EGT'S why not spen a little bit more and get Linderman to port and polish that thing for $500 and then you have a machine that will Make you hold on.. And reliable as well. I guess it's up tp you how much $ you want to spend. Just know that whe you do one thing.. about 5 other things need to bought so everything can work properly. :beer:

mtm

Reaction score
Love my 08. I bought it with 171 KM on it. It's got reeds and full SLP exhaust. I put the Linderman mount on it, I've got 17 rides in so far this year. Blew one belt that I had foregatten the parking brake with. I was parked damn near straight up so had to just about pin it to start. Doh. Opened it up on a lake and boom. I'm coming off an 01 800 summit HM. It's like cheating.

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got mine up for sale:

Have two sleds, and my wife is done sledding, so up for sale it goes!

PM if you are interested. It's well taken care of, low KM

Top Bottom