2008 KX100 front brake issue

Chemical

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, need some guidance and trouble shooting tips. I bought a used 2008 Kawa KX 100. Previous owner had a leak in the front brakes and the calipers would not pressure up. So he went to the local Kawa dealer and they gave him the piston seals (two sets). So after I bought the bike, I changed out the seals. I've bled the brakes to the best that I could, but still the brakes wont pressure up. And trouble shooting tips that I can use to determine where the leak is? I dont want to take it to the dealership yet. Im pretty hand when it comes to tools, so if I could figure out the issue, I can fix it myself. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Will it build any pressure if you pump the brake a bunch of times? If so pump it up and hold the the brake on and put a zap strap around the lever to keep pressure on it, this can help drive out air. Another option is to turn the bike upside down (balance it on the bars with the front wheel in the air) and open the bleeder screw and leave it for a few days. If that fails look at the master cylinder.

Chemical

Reaction score
It's almost like it wants to build pressure, but doesn't. R u thinking I may still have air in the system?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some times I have had to take the caliper off, give it a few pumps to get piston out, then push piston back in manual.... Pushes air out the top, hard to get air our of small systems

sent while I should be drinking tea's

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Turn it upside down? Hahaha. No don't, that's a lot of work. I used to struggle with bleeding brakes all the time till a guy showed me a slick trick many years ago.
Get a large capacity syringe from a farm shop (UFA $2.50) take a piece of gas tank vent hose and stick it over the end of the syringe, it fits perfectly. Fill the syringe up with brake fluid then stick the end of the vent line over the bleed screw on your calliper, fits perfectly, open the reservoir and the bleed screw and reverse circulate the system. Close the bleed screw while still attached to the hose so no air gets into the system. This takes all of about 3 minutes to do. I do this to all my bikes yearly to flush old fluid out. Also works good for hydraulic clutches on the KTM.

Chemical

Reaction score
Ill give the reverse bleed a try. Are there any ways to find out if its maybe a leak in the system. Is there a way to put pressure on it to determine if there is a leak and i am bleeding the system correctly?

Chemical

Reaction score
How much volume of brake fluid is typically in a front brake system? I have a large syringe but want to make sure it holds enough volume.

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it doesn't hold enough, close the bleeder and reload. Go again.

The system will only hold around a 1/2 cup total

Sent while wishing I was on my snowbike

Chemical

Reaction score
So i couldnt get the brakes to go. Tried a number of different things and it seems like there is a leak somewhere. Is there a way to be able to narrow down what could be leaking?

Chemical

Reaction score
Anyone know of a good place in Edmonton where i can get a reasonably priced aftermarket brake system for this bike or should i just consider buying oem?

Top Bottom