2008 800r XP Belt Recommendation

loganDtrain

Reaction score
I am looking for a belt that will last on these machines. Which have you guys had the most luck with and where can I buy it?

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just started running the gates belt, was noticible difference. Not sure how long it will last as i got 1 ride on it, but so far no noticible wear so far. The belt does run hotter than the doo belt, probly cause there is no cooling cogs on the backside. Havent really seen any slippage because of this either.

can pick this belt up at napa for 100 bucks ish.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are having issues with belts blowing with minimal mileage, switching to another belt isn't going to fix your problem unless you fix what is causing it in the first place.

the brp 377 is the proper belt for the 800R XP, the 166 they found is too narrow if you are using they belt and getting pre-mature wear.

The 08's were known to have belt alignment issues. Some people figure but doign a clutch kit like a DJ kit or someone else will fix the issue, again, if its an alignment problem, this will not cure the problem. It may reduce heat and belt fatigue but not fix it completely.

I have heard of people having luck with the gates belts, but they are not lasting longer if they have other issues with the sled, its just cheeper to replace that belt.

I had over 1400kms on my last belt, the only reason it went was because of the stupid plastic belt deflection adjuster coming out and chewing up the belt. That has to be the stupidest thing ever! I wish my dealer would have done the update to mine when I bought it.

finndoo

Reaction score
I run the Doo 377 with a DJ clutch kit, the shim kit on the secondary and a secondary clutch tower brace. I got 800 miles on the first one getting it all figured out, and I have 700 miles on the second one with lots of adjustment left and she looks good to go at least a few hundred more. My clutches do run hotter than the other older Doos in our group but they are lasting good enough for me. In fact I have never gotten more than 800 miles on a belt on any of my older mountain sleds.

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On the 2008's if you change the sping cap on the primary and the primary busing you shouldnt have any more issues. There is a problem with the bushing and it is making it bind up on the shaft their for buringing a belt

finndoo

Reaction score
It is true that the bushings were bad in 07-08 primaries, some rollers were bad too. Replacing those is a good start. Some 08 sleds had motor mount issues that would not allow proper alignment. The pinweight was light on mine right out of the box. The o8 ramps were garbage, no squeeze at the start and over rev at the top both not helping belt life. The straight 42 helix was also no good for belt life or performance. Overall the whole setup was junk so no wonder it was changed for the 09 sleds. It is also very important to check belt deflection to ensure that it is correct as it can contribute to poor belt life, 08 adjusters were prone to backing off.

Dynamo^Joe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Picture courtesy of Turbo Al

If you have the side panel off and from the front of the sled able to look down upon the belt and see it cocked on an angle, the belt is out of alignment. You can put a straight edge on the secondary and measure the distance across to the belt at two different locations as shown in the picture attached.

The xp chassis, the engine always works to the left (PTO side) and as far as the slots on the engine mount holes displace.
The PTO side moves around, its' not as stiff as one would think, the driver hits a bump and the chassis flex, the engine is connected to the A-Arm mount.
You can loosen all the engine mounts, pry the engine back towards the recoil side, tighten everything down and eventually the engine moves back to the left - this is where I think those braces like the one big john sells comes in handy (im using one myself).

Another cure for alignment.
ski-doo snowmobile forums - DOOTalk.com

trailblazer

Reaction score
There's a rental outfit in Revelstoke,Powder Petes, who also could explain how he set's up his sleds,with an engine and clutch realignment.He realigns his 08's and has no problems with belts,just another resource if needed.He's a busy guy but very helpful.

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are having issues with belts blowing with minimal mileage, switching to another belt isn't going to fix your problem unless you fix what is causing it in the first place.

the brp 377 is the proper belt for the 800R XP, the 166 they found is too narrow if you are using they belt and getting pre-mature wear.

The 08's were known to have belt alignment issues. Some people figure but doign a clutch kit like a DJ kit or someone else will fix the issue, again, if its an alignment problem, this will not cure the problem. It may reduce heat and belt fatigue but not fix it completely.

I have heard of people having luck with the gates belts, but they are not lasting longer if they have other issues with the sled, its just cheeper to replace that belt.

I had over 1400kms on my last belt, the only reason it went was because of the stupid plastic belt deflection adjuster coming out and chewing up the belt. That has to be the stupidest thing ever! I wish my dealer would have done the update to mine when I bought it.

I agree 100% its not a belt quality issue at all. Get your clutches aligned properly, warm your belt up in the morning (take it easy for the first couple miles) and your belt should last a very long time. I have 2200 miles on my XP and im currently on my second belt. I have properly aligned clutches and a DJ kit.

Reaction score
There's a rental outfit in Revelstoke,Powder Petes, who also could explain how he set's up his sleds,with an engine and clutch realignment.He realigns his 08's and has no problems with belts,just another resource if needed.He's a busy guy but very helpful.

Here in Revelstoke we definitely hace a few fixes when it comes to the 2008 xp's. First make sure all the upgrades are done ( driveshaft, re-flashed etc.) quick way to know if you have the re-flash done is if you have a max RPM still left on your display. In the new program it was decided not to keep this option. Next is to ensure your running a 377 belt, then to find out what gearing and clutch setup is in your specific machine. Some that came out were off completely and either needed different ramps, springs or gearing to work in sync. Something we found with the 2008's is that the engine mount allowed the motor and primary to pull towards the secondary, so even with a perfect alignment when the sled is under full power (climbing, deep powder etc) the clutches would flex and pull at the engine mounts causing them to go out of alignment. Now we have found some aftermarket clutch braces but an easy way to compensate is this.

First take of the side panel, clutch guard and belt, next loosen off the motor mounts and you'll find that the motor actually pivots on the back left bolt. then push the front of the motor until bolt hole on the front mount beside the primary is all the way over. Now the belt at idle is slightly out of alignment but under load it will be straight and true. Another trick if you ride hard is to make a peice of aluminum to fit beside bolt on the front left mount inside the slot unallowing the motor to slowly shift back over. Now this only works with the 2008 800R as in 2009 and on they changed the style of the motor mounts and no longer have the slot design.

Hopes this helps out
For any other tips on the Skidoo Xp's just ask.

Top Bottom