2007 Ski-Doo Summit 800 X Motor Quit

huntingflying

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Ski-Doo Summit 800 X and while riding, only about 5 miles down the trail, this weekend the engine seized. I couldn't even pull the rope at first. After awhile I could pull the rope but it wouldn't start. I pulled one plug at a time and felt for compression. One of the cylinders felt like it had no compression. I pulled again on it and it started but ran on one cylinder. I began the trip back to the truck and it ran like crap most of the way. Just before I got back to the truck it seemed to be running close to normal. Where do I start? What could have gone wrong? Has anyone had this happen to them? First thought is it needs torn down, but I don't want to do this if it isn't necessary and is a common problem with something else. It was a relatively warm morning around 20 degrees and the elevation was between 2,000 and 3,000 between the truck and where I stopped on the trail.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I think I'd be pulling the heads off it and having a good look, or inspecting it thru the intake/exhaust ports

huntingflying

Reaction score
Would 20 degrees be cold enough for a cold seize?

Ya inspecting is soon to come I think...

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would 20 degrees be cold enough for a cold seize?

Ya inspecting is soon to come I think...

Cold seize has nothing to do with the outside temperature, and everything to do with people that unload their sleds and go ripping down the trail before its warmed up.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I might say that it could have sucked some lower bearing cage up to the top end.... That's what my 07 did. Mag piston... Inner mag bearing.

Can u see what's wrong ??

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You need to yank the motor and take a look. Sounds like a classic cold sieze to me. You have to have those coolers warm before you rip down the trails. A warm motor is one thing but you have to get the water temps up too. You don't want freezing cold water hitting a hot engine.

How many km's? It could be it was just its time too!

Sled motors blow up, so you add money, and then do it again.

Barker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I 100% agree with powderhoundbrr! Cold seize

nielsy

Reaction score
the problem with the 07 it doesn't have a themostat so it has to heat the whole system

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Sounds to me like detonation and you stuck a ring. Thats y after it cooled it would roll again then the stuck ring let go and both jugs had compression. did you run premium or maybe you got bad gas.

Barker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know About that team dirt! Looking at the pic up there looks like there is bearing material stuck to her on the left side can see that just letting go once cold must a gave her a good tug to free that up! Would like to see the picture of bearing!

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like detonation and you stuck a ring. Thats y after it cooled it would roll again then the stuck ring let go and both jugs had compression. did you run premium or maybe you got bad gas.

Pretty rare for a deto/lean seize to free back up again, that usually only happens with a cold seize or overheating. Deto doesn't usually create enough heat for a seize, it will melt a piston first.

Top Bottom