2007 800r Idle problem

Hefe04

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has had any idle problems, it is really slow to come down. Did some looking around and found I may have a leak somewhere around the carbs, maybe the boots. So going to check there first but if anyone has an idea of anything else I should check let me know. Everything is brand new just did whole motor.

Thanks

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
could be an airleak....carb boots, crank seals...

did you drop in a complete motor?

did you try adjusting the idle. sometimes when a higher compression motor is installed it will idle higher and need to be turned down.

Hefe04

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pulled the whole thiing out did bottom end (had it done) and put in new top end I do have v force, 13:1 head, and y pipe. I replaced all gaskets. Would the idle being set wrong delay the idling down because it will idle down just after 10 to 20 secs? I think I will try to pull boots and look for cracks and maybe I chipped a reed.

Thanks

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
mine was doing the same .........cost me a motor....reed petal went through the engine

Hefe04

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The air leak cost you a motor or the petal? I dont think I broke a petal but who knows it will take a min to check. I was looked them over before I put them back in so----hope not

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The hi idle is likely an indication of a lean low-spead fuel mixture. This could be from an air leak around the intake cages to carbs, but could also be from some crud in a carburetor, partially blocking a low-speed fuel jet. I'd check the carbs out closely for any debris before running it, as similar debris could create a lean mixture at high speed operation, and cause another piston failure. A good tech's time here could be worth your investment.

Pawel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am actually having the same issue except I did drop in a new complete short block...and when I had it all apart I carefully inspected the condition of the boots and reeds but maybe like Maxwell said I might just have to adjust the idle a bit.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hows that oil cable? Did it get pinched of F'ed up, I know how you operators are with stuff! Again I'll give $2000 for your junk.LOLOLOL

MoFoREVxp154

Reaction score
Check to make sure the leaning valve(DPM solenoid) is working. Removed -clean and lube with silicone spray. Hook to 12V and make sure its clicking.

DanoXRS

Reaction score
Check the throttle cable...it could be binding, causing the engine to take it's time idling down.

Radical Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is starting to show up in alot of rev and xp sleds,low idle lean condition,if you leave it for a minute it should idle down,i just flip the choke to bring the idle down,some people are changing out their pilot jets fron 17.5 to 20's this helps cure the problem.:hemiCoupe:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has had any idle problems, it is really slow to come down. Did some looking around and found I may have a leak somewhere around the carbs, maybe the boots. So going to check there first but if anyone has an idea of anything else I should check let me know. Everything is brand new just did whole motor.

Thanks
did u have the bottom end apart? did ya do a leak test? i have a 800r 07... they don't have the problems with haging idle ect... like the older ones have [ lean in the mid 's ] cause the needle is tapered way more... must have a vac leak somewere...

Hillbilly64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thanks

My 2007 Renegade 800 PTEK does the same thing. Idles very high for about a minute or so and then comes down on it's own. Sometimes giving the throttle a quick hit will bring it down also.
I just thought they were all like that, cause mine has been since new. Never gave me a seconds grief though.

skibeadoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just had seen this on a friends sled and the I am usually patient and it comes down. You know when you have waited way to long. i did the choke blip and it idled right back up again. I will keep watching the thread.

Side note, I put a new short block in from ski doo and was running on clicker 4 and 5 before and now I am on clicker 1 and over reving. I am sure much happier with this engine that the last one. Has anyone else had this problem. :beer::beer::beer::d

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check that your pilot air screws are both opened equally: If Not close in the more opened one to the same as the other. If Yes, then close them both in by 1/8 turn once, then test for a couple of runs, then again if necessary. If not cured, then you very well could have an intake air leak.

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check that your pilot air screws are both opened equally: If Not close in the more opened one to the same as the other. If Yes, then close them both in by 1/8 turn once, then test for a couple of runs, then again if necessary. If not cured, then you very well could have an intake air leak.

You could also have idle speed screws that are not closely matched in their settings.

These adjustments take a bit of experience &finesse.

Hefe04

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I still have not found the problem, no leaks ect. The sled runs normal at higher elevations and has been running great all year. I dont ride anywhere else but the mountains so. Might play a bit with the carbs this spring before I go again and check that the valves are the same thanks everyone

nielsy

Reaction score
it's not air screws it's fuel screws and the more you turn out the richer it runs and the richer it runs the faster it comes down to idle. i think i would be checking the vacuum hoses for rave valves on intake side of engine cases

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
There are two screws that you can only reach when carbs are off, those are fuel screws. Turn them in untill just seated, be carefull not to break off the tips. Then open both evenly about turn and a half. Most revs will do the idle up in the valley but once in the high country settle out. Keep opening the fuel screws a little at a time untill it seems better. Have you had any engine mods done? Try a little av gas for riding the low elevation stuff.

Top Bottom