2006 summit 800 engine light flashing

bluelugnuts

Reaction score
Hey guys, I bought a new sled today. This is my first sled and I got my dad to go look at it and pick it up for me because I was in a class 3 air brake course. Anyways he checks it out at the guy's house, fires it up and everything is fine. The sled is mint, barely a scratch on the bloody thing (my dad is a mechanic just to clear things up if you were wondering why I sent him). He gets home with the sled, I get home and we take it out of the truck and fire it up to move it next to the house to store it for now and the engine light starts flashing. The guy hadn't ridden the sled in over a year, so it may be bad gas. I haven't looked at the sled yet, I just put it away and left it alone for now as it was getting dark. I was wondering if anybody knew what I should look for, or if i should just load'er up and bring it to a shop? The machine idled perfectly while this engine light was flashing btw.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I bought a new sled today. This is my first sled and I got my dad to go look at it and pick it up for me because I was in a class 3 air brake course. Anyways he checks it out at the guy's house, fires it up and everything is fine. The sled is mint, barely a scratch on the bloody thing (my dad is a mechanic just to clear things up if you were wondering why I sent him). He gets home with the sled, I get home and we take it out of the truck and fire it up to move it next to the house to store it for now and the engine light starts flashing. The guy hadn't ridden the sled in over a year, so it may be bad gas. I haven't looked at the sled yet, I just put it away and left it alone for now as it was getting dark. I was wondering if anybody knew what I should look for, or if i should just load'er up and bring it to a shop? The machine idled perfectly while this engine light was flashing btw.
I betting bad gas suck it out and start fresh then run sled up and shut down with dess cord to clear knock senser code.

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it is the cord you hook to your person so if you fall off it shuts the sled off..... it should be located by the gas cap... what is the engine light flash sequence i have a manual and could look it up....

bluelugnuts

Reaction score
Found the DESS, sorry for my lack of knowledge, never had a sled before so my knowledge is limited. The engine light flashes about 1 sec on, 1 sec off if i remember correctly

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya so i checked tthe book and it could be thirty differnt things and without having a code reader it will be too hard too tell...

bluelugnuts

Reaction score
Ya so i checked tthe book and it could be thirty differnt things and without having a code reader it will be too hard too tell...

Turns out it was the computer... it thought my engine was in catastrophic failure, every possible code came up when the mechanic ran it, so got a new ECM and it's good now. $1000 later

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ECM ??? wow ...

ok so I know they fail n all,
but I would have put money on a sensor.
I have 2006 rt1000 and sensor failure is wot I deal with now with 8000 miles on her.

my take on it is,
if the motor is running fine and the check engine light is on its a sensor.
but it helps if you know your sled more intimately than your girlfriend.
did I say that out loud ???

late edit ...

in fall I bought a sled with a blown motor for partz,
best thing I could have done.
not only did I get a whole bunch of partz so I could start replacing bitz til I found the prob,
but I got to completely strip it down to learn every little thing I could.
I highly recomend doing this coz I live out of town and a small town at that,
and partz can take a while to get here.
but I've had dayz when I load her in the truck,
find an issue,
15 mins later prob solved part swapped for no $ !!!

Last edited:

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ECM ??? wow ...

ok so I know they fail n all,
but I would have put money on a sensor.
I have 2006 rt1000 and sensor failure is wot I deal with now with 8000 miles on her.

my take on it is,
if the motor is running fine and the check engine light is on its a sensor.
but it helps if you know your sled more intimately than your girlfriend.
did I say that out loud ???

late edit ...

in fall I bought a sled with a blown motor for partz,
best thing I could have done.
not only did I get a whole bunch of partz so I could start replacing bitz til I found the prob,
but I got to completely strip it down to learn every little thing I could.
I highly recomend doing this coz I live out of town and a small town at that,
and partz can take a while to get here.
but I've had dayz when I load her in the truck,
find an issue,
15 mins later prob solved part swapped for no $ !!!

good idea...my lights flashing to but runs so good i dont want to fool with it....a whole parts sled is next.
and i live in a big city i just hate running for parts everytime then waiting because the dealers wont stock older sled parts.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine was flashing intermittently on my last ride, I figured it was just getting hot so i shut it down and let it cool down for a bit. When i restarted it wasnt flashing again. I didnt have scrathcers at the time either. The sled itself ran fine though, it did however seem like it lost a bit of coolant

Top Bottom