2006 outlander 400xt - Burning Rich and Fouling Plugs

Titan

Reaction score
Been fighting this issue over a year and still getting no where.
Maybe someone on here has some ideas.
I've torn the carb down and cleaned it 3 times and I mean RIGHT down so I'm 100% sure I've not missed anything in terms of cleaning.

Set the float bowl properly
Set the Pilot screw at 2 1/2 turns

Thing runs great once it's running, seems to idle ok however when I punch the gas I get a puff of BLACK smoke and you can constantly smell gas in the exhaust.
No gas in the oil etc.
No bogs or anything of note right through the power band.

However, if you start it and don't run it long (for example running it from my garage on to the truck and then off) it will foul the plug almost immediately to a no start condition. (obviously not up to temperature)

Plug is BLACK and Sooty after a hard run or doing plug chops. When it goes to no-start condition all I have to do is swap the plug out and it fires right up. (went through at least 8 plugs last season) Have even tried a slightly hotter plug and no change.

100% stock machine.

Any ideas, funny thing is I have another 400 outlander that is 100% identical and have zero issues same KMS give or take. I am starting to think this thing was made on a Friday afternoon.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been fighting this issue over a year and still getting no where.
Maybe someone on here has some ideas.
I've torn the carb down and cleaned it 3 times and I mean RIGHT down so I'm 100% sure I've not missed anything in terms of cleaning.

Set the float bowl properly
Set the Pilot screw at 2 1/2 turns

Thing runs great once it's running, seems to idle ok however when I punch the gas I get a puff of BLACK smoke and you can constantly smell gas in the exhaust.
No gas in the oil etc.
No bogs or anything of note right through the power band.

However, if you start it and don't run it long (for example running it from my garage on to the truck and then off) it will foul the plug almost immediately to a no start condition. (obviously not up to temperature)

Plug is BLACK and Sooty after a hard run or doing plug chops. When it goes to no-start condition all I have to do is swap the plug out and it fires right up. (went through at least 8 plugs last season) Have even tried a slightly hotter plug and no change.

100% stock machine.

Any ideas, funny thing is I have another 400 outlander that is 100% identical and have zero issues same KMS give or take. I am starting to think this thing was made on a Friday afternoon.
We had seen a few were fuel was bubbling out beside the brass tube.Brp was just warranting them .Never idled right ran fine as long as you were just up off idle ,but yes always smelling gas if your following and puffing out black smoke and fouling plugs.Only fix was new carb. Cheers Brian Hope this helps.

Titan

Reaction score
We had seen a few were fuel was bubbling out beside the brass tube.Brp was just warranting them .Never idled right ran fine as long as you were just up off idle ,but yes always smelling gas if your following and puffing out black smoke and fouling plugs.Only fix was new carb. Cheers Brian Hope this helps.
Yikes that's a pricey solution

Titan

Reaction score
Ok well i've tried almost everything else i can think of
Will order up a new carb

Titan

Reaction score
Yes i did swap it over and its certain its a carb issue. Just wish i knew what the issue is exactly as i hate spending $400 when i may not have to

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes i did swap it over and its certain its a carb issue. Just wish i knew what the issue is exactly as i hate spending $400 when i may not have to
grab a mirror and a light start it up look into the carb beside the brass tube. what we seen was gas bubbling up beside the brass tube.Then the bike would start running ruff than die.I'm actually got a 05 400 dropped off yesterday same problem I will try to get a video with my bore scope .Cheers

Last edited:

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it a defect in the carb that causes the issue? would a worn seat cause the problem? but that would be a flooding issue wouldn't it? Although, after reading your first post It seems like it is loading up with gas and if it not warm enough it will kill the engine. I see you cleaned it but did you rebuild it with new parts??

Titan

Reaction score
grab a mirror and a light start it up look into the carb beside the brass tube. what we seen was gas bubbling up beside the brass tube.Then the bike would start running ruff than die.I'm actually got a 05 400 dropped off yesterday same problem I will try to get a video with my bore scope .Cheers

That has to be what's going on....Thanks, would love to see the video

Titan

Reaction score
I did at one point replace the jets, needle and seat. No difference.
Ordered up a new carb out of the states (much cheaper than canada even with shipping)
Hopefully that does the trick.

Titan

Reaction score
So just an update to this thread...i ordered up, received and installed a brand new complete carb. Issue appears to be gone now (although I busted the rear drive shaft so I'm waiting on part to go for a test run).
Machine starts and idles much much better AND the eye watering rich smell from the exhaust seems to be gone.
Thanks very much to all who provided input, this issue dogged me for quite some time.

Top Bottom