2005 sportsman 800 clunking noise

2010rmk800144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I noticed a clunking on my quad when u go to engage and start rolling and when I let on and off my throttle but no clunk when I'm steady on throttle. It's fairly loud.. Anything to worry about or look for?

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt worry. That is the famous polaris "clunk". Its their way of telling you its in gear.

Sent while not working too hard

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Could be lotta things cv joint, u joint on drive shaft( not sure if poo has one on the DS) transmission, broken motor mount heard of a few of these breaking, belt, clutch, almost need a vid..

2010rmk800144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it were the belt wouldn't u notice it a lot more when ur on the throttle? Once u hve steady pressure on the throttle I can't hear anything it's just when u start to go or let off the throttle
Your belt is going... probably missing a chunk

Mik-B

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No, once the belt is engaged and is squeezed between the sides of the clutch, everything is fine. It's when it's slapping around all loose in there, that you hear the clunking.

If you take your belt cover off, I bet a chunk of the inside of your belt is missing.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah a missing piece of a belt will still sound like that, had a sled with the same issue I was sure it was the chaincase slipping cause of the metal sound but turned out to be the belt. That being said the way you describe it with the on-off throttle thing sounds like a u-joint to me. Try twisting the rear driveshaft with your hand, if you get much more than an 1/8 inch of play the ujoints are gone.

2010rmk800144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
alright guys thanks for the input, i put in a new belt on and didnt notice anything missing off the old one, i rode it all day yesterday and the noise is still there but i also noticed that the same noise is on 2 other same year sportsmans as mine that i ride with, i never seen the post about the rear joints ill have a look next time im out there... ran perfect all day tho haha these quads are badass once u put some nice tires on, put the sti mudtrax on there and theyre wicked

Top Bottom