2005 Rev Summit problems

PJtheMunchkin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the fuel pump is bad and not delivering enough fuel, would it do it to both carbs at the same time or is it possible that only one carb would suffer. In this case the MAG side?

My motor keeps burning down on that side and we can't find anything wrong except for the fact that the main jet on the MAG side fell out. I realize that this would normally bring on massive rich conditions, causing the sled to not run at all, but it was actually opposite, that side was not getting hardly any fuel at all, hence the burndown. The piston had a melted out area in the center of the dome.

Thanks,
PJ

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't see a fuel pump issue only going to one side - it feeds both.

Fuel line blockage? Leak on one side would explain it - even if rich from main jet.

PJtheMunchkin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep. Did a pressure test, no leaks this time!

It's the 3rd time that its burned down. The first time was a RKT 827 motor, I just attributed that to bad luck, so I put my stock motor back in (the only thing I had on that was a shaved head from the dealer and I ran that for 2 year with no issues). The second time was the stock motor and that burned down in the second run across a meadow in very deep snow. Took it to the dealer and they found a leaky crank seal and a torn reed gasket. It was repaired, the motor was fixed and they sent me on my way. I rode the sled twice and it was fine, I even towed out a broken down sled with it. Then I went to the Snowies, rode it for about 1/2 an hour made a steep climb with it and it sputtered after riding in deep powder 100-150 yards from to top of the hill. I pulled the plug on the MAG side and it was covered in aluminum. We did a pressure test on the damaged motor and found no leaks, the only thing that we found was the main jet rolling around in the float bowl on the MAG side. We can't think of anything wrong.

It can't be the crank, cause the sled would have had a bad vibration and wouldn't have run good. It can't be timing cause only one cylinder was damaged, the PTO side was perfect! We are at a loss for what's wrong.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
You've been switching the carbs and boots and reeds over from engine to engine right??? Check the carb boots and also the reed cage and spacers for cracks... I bet you got a vacuum leak and burning down the cylinder... Almost guarantee it....... Please let us know?

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 05 reed boots were prone to cracking. i found cracks in mine before she melted down.

PJtheMunchkin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have VForce III reeds and boots but I did notice some cracks in the boot but they didn't go all of the way through, I ordered replacements anyways.

Top Bottom