2005 outlander in limp mode

rogerb

Reaction score
My 2005 outlander 400 is stuck in limp mode. Can someone help me get it out. Dealer. Said to f$&@ with the override switch did this till turned blue. There must be some sequence to reset it. Need help please. Nothing in the manual.

I tightened all cables,checked all hoses,tried a million combinations using the reverse override switch and still stuck. This happened twice now the first time I got it to the dealer and he played around with the OR switch and shifting in an out of gear an somehow it came out of limp mode. I had put in hi test gas so he suggested I remove the gas put in regular and change the plug. I went for a spin and bike worked like new for abour 5 km then back to limp mode. I thought it was running hot and hat maybe it was air locked as I had recently changed the sensor for the fan so I checked the thermometer as we'll ans putthecoolantbackin this time I am pretty sure it isn't air locked and now I cannot get it out of limp mode to check it.

Last edited:

rogerb

Reaction score
My 2005 outlander 400 is stuck in limp mode. Can someone help me get it out. Dealer. Said to f$&@ with the override switch did this till turned blue. There must be some sequence to reset it. Need help please. Nothing in the manual.

I tightened all cables,checked all hoses,tried a million combinations using the reverse override switch and still stuck. This happened twice now the first time I got it to the dealer and he played around with the OR switch and shifting in an out of gear an somehow it came out of limp mode. I had put in hi test gas so he suggested I remove the gas put in regular and change the plug. I went for a spin and bike worked like new for abour 5 km then back to limp mode. I thought it was running hot and hat maybe it was air locked as I had recently changed the sensor for the fan so I checked the thermometer as we'll ans putthecoolantbackin this time I am pretty sure it isn't air locked and now I cannot get it out of limp mode to check it.

Thanks everyone for you help. I called Rob Aikens in Nine Mile River and he pointed me in the right direction in 2 minutes. He told me the switch that is used to allow you to apply brakes to start the engine in gear does the exact same thing and it appears you are in limp mode. I then remembered several weeks go I tried to start the bike in gear while depressing the foot break and it would not work. Associating the 2 events I started the bike pressed on the foot break and voila life is good again. Rob has now repaired almost all the bikes in our camp and everyone has nothing but the highest praise for his abilities. Thanks again Rob

Top Bottom