2004 Outlander 400 carb issue ?

Hillbilly64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son bought a 400 Outlander a while back and it ran fine. Then it started running really rough. If you hit the throttle it will not rev up enough to move the machine. I took the carb off and took it to a dealer for a rebuild. Put the carb on and you got it, same thing. Changed the plug and made sure all the lines going to the carb are on. Still no luck. The quad will start and idle, but will not move. Any ideas?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is the choke functioning properly? cable on mine seized keeping the choke on once, the cable wouldn't retract all the way

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would guess that the vaccum line that goes from the side of the airbox to the top of the carb is clogged. Those outty's have a CV carb, so the throttle cable only opens and closes a butterfly valve in the venturi. The airflow is metered by the slide which is controlled by a vaccum effect in the airbox, and if that hose is clogged up, the slide will not open enough or possibly not at all, and your engine is starved of air.

Hillbilly64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would guess that the vaccum line that goes from the side of the airbox to the top of the carb is clogged. Those outty's have a CV carb, so the throttle cable only opens and closes a butterfly valve in the venturi. The airflow is metered by the slide which is controlled by a vaccum effect in the airbox, and if that hose is clogged up, the slide will not open enough or possibly not at all, and your engine is starved of air.

This really sounds like the problem. When I had it running, the slide ( or Barrel) was down in the body and would not lift when hitting the throttle, it just stayed put. I will check out your suggestion and post what I find.

Thanks for the replys and advice guys.

Top Bottom