2004 1m 900 efi

CrosbyStills

Reaction score
Hey all!

Heading out to pick up a sled I purchased, 2004 1M 900 EFI on the 1st. Decided it's time to get my winter sports going to balance my 4x4ing.

Got a great deal on it but it's got around 6000km. It's running strong now, but what are the things I should look out for, or do as preventative maintenance right off the bat? I've never worked on these engines before but work on my trucks all the time so it can't be much of a stretch.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Scott

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
id be rebuilding it asap if it hasnt been, BUT im guessing it prob has at least once thus far

I owned one for a couple yrs, great sled. DEF couldnt carry beers etc in the seat pouch or theyd explode/smash.....rode like an old rubber block suspension pole truck LOL

CrosbyStills

Reaction score
I was thinking that'd be the order of the day. When you say rebuild, do you just mean the top end? Or what bearings etc should I be looking to replace around the crank as well?

Also, seen a bunch of different top end kits, any word on the preferred ones?

sled_wrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i had one for a few years ... just look at the clutches and make sure the rollers and weights dont have flat spots other then that just the over all condition will tell ya how its been treated ... as for a re build i wouldnt i would just check compression in fact i would do that before handing over money

CrosbyStills

Reaction score
That sounds like a pretty good plan actually... I'll pull the clutch once I get it home, but even low compression isn't that fixed doing the top end? I've seen top end kits for around $200-250. As long as the cyls aren't gouged or anything. Is that right, or am I way off?

sled_wrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No that sounds about right for price for top end and they are easy to do ... If its anything like mine was it will pull hard and you will have fun but the damn things ride like a lumber wagon

Top Bottom