2003 f150 4 wheel drive grinding

new24stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So my kids truck started to make a grinding noise when 4wheel drive was engaged. I put a good know transfer case in and it still did it. So I got one from a wreckers in edmonton with 67000 km on it. It's still doing the same thing. Anyone have any ideas.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wheel bearing to hub vacuum lock gears

Last edited:

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check at front hub if sound is by the front,if the sound is coming from under the truck,check the front drive shaft the slip and spline could be wore enough to be jumping splines,not commen but have seen it

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if noise is in front by tire area check hub,if noise is under by transfer case check front drive shaft slip and spline for wear and possible jumping on the splines,not common but have seen it before, if mechanical shift transfere case check engine mounts,rear trans mount for if mounts are broken the transfere case linkage can be throwen out and cause shifter to be not fully engaging transfere case

new24stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It uses a electric shift motor. But I will check the splines on the slip yoke. I know I did have to get it broke loose because it was siezed up

new24stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does not use vaccum to engage the hubs. It uses vaccum to a shifting fork in the front axle

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does not use vaccum to engage the hubs. It uses vaccum to a shifting fork in the front axle
2003 should have the shift fork in the front diff not the hubs like the newer trucks, you need a hand vacuum pump and apply vacuum to the vac pot on the front diff and see if its engaging. The 03's were known to have to pads break off the fork and it not shift.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am trying to grasp the reality that you went through the process of swapping in 2 transfer cases when the 1st one you put in didn't fix anything. Nonetheless good luck finding the issue.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Have u jacked up all 4 wheels, and used a stethoscope or a rubber hose to listen for the noise(someone obviously running up the truck while you're underneath)? That should pinpoint the noise

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But the way the ford's halfer work, no vacuum locks the hub to axle gears, vacuum draws the lock hub away from gears

So if u loose a vacuum line it defaults to 4x4

If ur in 2 wd and it makes noise, then could be a bad vacation line forsure

new24stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They have all been used transfer cases. It makes the noise under a hard stomp on the gas. I have another transfer case coming. Will try this once more.

new24stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well found the problem. The truck has a lift kit in it. So when you smash on the gas the front axle is torquing and the drive shaft is hitting a bolt on the suspension. I think it needs some new bushings

Top Bottom