2001 kodiak 400 problem's

maxfam09

Reaction score
hi and thanks for reading my thread.i just bought a 2001 yamaha kodiak 400 it runs/idles/drives just fine but it will not do over aprox 20 mph.the thumb throttle is backed open all the way.i do not know what else to check i have allways been a 2 stroke dirtbike guy so any help would be great.thanks

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well sounds a bit vague, but if it idles good and runs good, but has no speed probably best place to start is your clutch and drive belt.

-if the machine was swamped and has the clutches full of mud, it may do what your saying,
- if the clutch sheaves are worn or belt is worn
- could be a stuck roller or two in the clutches that are worn flat

find a parts breakdown of your clutch and start there.. look at yamaha-motor.com go to atvs, then tab parts look up

good luck

t

maxfam09

Reaction score
well sounds a bit vague, but if it idles good and runs good, but has no speed probably best place to start is your clutch and drive belt.

-if the machine was swamped and has the clutches full of mud, it may do what your saying,
- if the clutch sheaves are worn or belt is worn
- could be a stuck roller or two in the clutches that are worn flat

find a parts breakdown of your clutch and start there.. look at yamaha-motor.com go to atvs, then tab parts look up

good luck

t

thanks i will look into that but im not sure that that would be my problem as it does not seem to be getting the proper rpm's even in neutral or park.i was thinking maybe more of a carb or choke issue but like i said earlier im new to the whole 4 strole game.any info would be great.also i checked the intake boot for air leaks with carb cleaner and it seems to be fine???????

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok yes its a little vague but ill put it like this.

If the bike is BOGGING hard when your trying to run it. its motor/carb problem.

if the bike is revving up and not going anywhere Its a clutching issue either the wetclutch or the primary clutch.

maxfam09

Reaction score
well it does not seem like it is reving at max in neutral or park,the rev seems to match the speed when driving so no slipping,it just seems like it should rev higher and go faster.it idles perfect and goes on command just seems restricted but like i said earlier the throttle is set to run full.i took it to the creek earlier and it performed wonderful as far as climbing,going through fast water etc..... the guy i got it from was an older guy who only used it a couple times a year as his snow plow so im wondering if maybe it just has a carbon build up or something like that.thanks again for your comments and help

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
easy way to check the clutch is take the cover off. and rev it up and watch if the belt comes all the way up to the top of the clutch primary. and then back down to normal.

id also do some plug checks. something doesnt sound right. if the plugs look fine then maybe timing? very odd.

it honestly seems like the throttle is not opening up past 1/2 meaning no main jet fuel. on a 450 1/2 would be around the speed your going .. gotta be carb related it might not even be opening up fulling with the needle to be maxing @ 32kmph or 20mhp like you say.

on the carb there is a cable conection.. flick that wide open and see if the bike revs up more. maybe the cable is stretched out or something even.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 2001 Kodiak is notorious for jet (primary) problems when they are only used occasionally, I have the same problem with mine. Have the jets re-done and have the float cleaned out.

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when i had my 01 kodiak, my clutches got right full of mud, and i had the same problem that you are describing. pulled them apart and cleaned out a couple pounds of dried up mud, and ran good from there! it definitely should go faster than 20 mph!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
try the cheapest thing first..throttle cable broke and hanging on by a string..is the top of the carb unscrewed..crappy plug..plug wire hooped..then you might need to wrench it..good luck..wire to coil broke

mudbug

Reaction score
YOU MIGHT WANT TO MAKE SURE THERE IS FRESH GAS IN THE UNIT, AND IF ITS ONLY BEEN USED A COUPLE TIMES A YEAR IT'S POSSIBLE THAT THE CARB
IS VARNISHED CAUSING THE JETS ETC TO PLUG UP. ALSO CHANGE YOUR FUEL FILTER OLD GAS REEKS HAVOCK ON THEM EVEN KNOW THEY LOOK CLEAN AND MAKE SURE YOU FUEL SHUT OFF IS WORKING OKAY IT COULD BE
PARTIALLY PLUGGED OR NOT FULL OPEAN. :d

:trustme:

maxfam09

Reaction score
okay i traced it down.for some reason the plunger on the carb is not moving up or down.it seems like it is a vaccum plunger.there is a tube on the bottom of my air box that is supposed to connect somewhere on the trans but i can not where it is supposed to go it is melted closed.any help?????? thanks

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
should be a spring there.

[media]http://www3.telus.net/leneng/carb.jpg[/media]

[media]http://www3.telus.net/leneng/carb3.jpg[/media]

[media]http://www3.telus.net/leneng/carb2.jpg[/media]

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Vaccum opens the slide. If the air box lid is off and there is no load on the engine the slide will only open for a second or so and then stay at about 30%

While your checking around the carb remove the boot between the carb and the head; they do separate (rubber and aluminum) and leak. This causes all sorts of problems including no RPM.

mudbug

Reaction score
The tube coming of the bottom of your air box is the drain hose, and who ever had it last probably melted it so it wouldn't take on water most have a one way valve or plug you can pull out to drain your air box. Or the hose was to long at one point and melted on the engine.

:d:d

Top Bottom