2001 600 zrt exhaust temperature readings

mapjay

Reaction score
I am running dual PSI pipes brand new 38 carbs with pro jets installed and a digitron to check exhaust temp.
Had it out yesterday for its first run it was about -22 degrees.
warmed it up for about 15 minutes or so took it out for a rip. Temp reading was about 1250 within seconds not quite at full throttle.
Not sure what is acceptable temp readings. I know to check the plugs but was wondering what is the temp limit for this machine?
Any suggestions?

Turbo-North

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1300 is ussusally meltdown for aluminum. Now that being said it really depends on where your probes are. I had a digitron reading 1500 no meltdown once. Turned out it had a bad probe. I have seen many sleds run 1300 and not burn down, but basic rule of thumb is 1300 is meltdown. Most sleds will tend to run hotter at part throttle then above 1/2. Unless the pilots are really to big. I realize this sounds confusing but hopefully someone else can shed more light on it for you. Look at the plugs and piston wash. If the piston is clean your close to meltdown. You want some black on it and just some wash near the portside of the piston.
G/L

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1300 is ussusally meltdown for aluminum. Now that being said it really depends on where your probes are. I had a digitron reading 1500 no meltdown once. Turned out it had a bad probe. I have seen many sleds run 1300 and not burn down, but basic rule of thumb is 1300 is meltdown. Most sleds will tend to run hotter at part throttle then above 1/2. Unless the pilots are really to big. I realize this sounds confusing but hopefully someone else can shed more light on it for you. Look at the plugs and piston wash. If the piston is clean your close to meltdown. You want some black on it and just some wash near the portside of the piston.
G/L

Not necessarily........

Clean piston could mean you are really rich (lots of wash). Plugs are more accurate, wash takes a long time to develop (like hours of riding). White or gray plugs = bad (unless you are running AV gas)

High EGT readings could also be rich and burning fuel in the pipe, my sled has hit 1400 degrees coming down a reaalllllly steep hill and it loads up a bit (floats set just slightly too high) and then when it pukes the fuel into the pipes and cleans itself out, it will read high for a second or two.

There is no magical formula for what EGT #'s work, each sled is different and your EGT readings will vary with probe placement, etc, etc.

You need to set a baseline for your EGT readings by correlating them to your plug readings.

Read this for more info:
DigatronTech

Top Bottom