2000 rmk 700 leaking coolant

ccharp

Reaction score
Hey everyone, this site looks like it could be pretty helpful. I just bought a 700 rmk and it has a couple coolant drips from between the cover and head. I am a mechanic but this is my first sled and I haven't ever seen inside these engines. Anyone know what is leaking and if it is a big deal? Any info will help, thanks

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I havent had my head off but i belive its just o-rings that seal the the head. just buy new rubbers and clean the head real well should fix it right up. oh and if you go to cycleworks website they have a parts finche and you can see the exploded veiw of the head.

ccharp

Reaction score
took a peek at that. looks like i need the two o-rings and the gasket. what about the cylinder to head gaskets? will they be okay if I don't disturb them?

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you shouldn't have to pull the domes off just leave them alone. unless you want to replace the gaskets there to but they should be fine.

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've found the torque spec to be a little light on the heasd bolts for these engines. Did you check to see if the bolts are all tight (18-22ft lbs).

every top end, I go through those head bolts 4-5 times (re-torquing) before they seal for good. maybe I should use blue locktite......hmmmmm, just occurd to me.

I now torque them at 26ft lbs, and have never had problems with o rings. 26ft lbs seems to be the happy place on my 800 (same torque spec)

ccharp

Reaction score
The engine has never been opened as far as I know. DO you think they would loosen off?

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
throw a 13mm socket onto a 3/8 ratchet and see. After a re-build, I usually see it coming out right at the bolt, but who knows.

might be as simple as a re torque, if your pullin the head any way.......might as well check your compression before going in

may be a chance to get to know your new sled quite intimately.....lol

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you should try and pick up a Deep Snow Service manual for your sled from polaris.......everything you need.

if you end up needing specified info before you get one, pm me, i can scan in the pages you need, and fire them to ya

good luck man....you got a good machine there

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
on those engines you use thread sealant on the head bolts. the white stuff as there are not orings on the bolts.They will leak everytime if you dont. I have rebuilt at least 20 of them over the years.

Top Bottom