2000 Mountain Max 600 won't start

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:confused:

The wife's sled is a 2000 600 Mountain Max. Kill switch is up, key is on, choke is full. new plugs, good spark. Sled won't even sputter when I pull the cord. I've try'd half choke no choke. Pour gas down air box. poured gas down cylinders. Flooded. pulled plugs, pulled over with plugs out. I can not get this stupid thing to even try and start. Any ideas?????????????

whammy

Reaction score
Have the carbs been cleaned? If not I would start there,, Is it old gas? if so siphon out and put fresh in.

whammy

Reaction score
For your yamaha needs go over totallyamaha.com ... Bunch of info and help from all yamaha dudes.....

wmcquay

Reaction score
my 2001 mountain max was the same no spark ended up being the stator assembly 300.00 part. check all wires and connections first. totaly yamaha site has a lot of info

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I own a 2001 mm would not start to the same way u are trying I found it was being flooded. I then let it dry out for a day from being flooded and I then forced the gas from the fuel tank to the carbs by putting air in the fuel tank with my air compressor. The sled fired up on the 3rd pull and that solved the problem, this sled hasn't been running since last christmas when it got wrected and I fixed it and I run strickly yamaha.
Good luck Barry

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll try force some air, done that on dads Corvair once. it has good spark. but as we found with Dads ZR this weekend, which had good spark on both plugs but the PTO side isn't firing, maybe i got something screwed up like that

wmcquay

Reaction score
you have to have dry clean plugs,new plugs work best some times I dry then with propane torch pour small amount of gas in cylinders put plugs in and pullover should fire.That choke rod on the carb rack sticks on my mine some time when cold mine is a 700 triple may be different. If you pour gas in the carbs or air box the gas goes into the crankcase not on top of the pistons were you want it. hope this helps

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Carbs are clean, machine won't even try and sputter or start. like its turned off, yet i have good spark. I will try new plugs next time i go to town. Had carbs out of it today, saw nothing wrong to why it won't go.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a trick that works sometimes. Pull the plugs, heat them with a heat gun or torch till good and hot. In the meantime pour a couple of ounces of gas into each cylinder while the plugs are out. Install the hot plugs and try to start immediately. It should fire and run for at least a few seconds.

CountryRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do a compression test. If you are running any around 100psi your good. If your running at 90 it should start but it won't run perfect. make sure all of your cylinders are within 0-10 psi of each other (not good having one cylinder with more compression then the other).
If you ace the compression test, put new plugs and pour gas down the cylinder, it should atleast run for not even 5 seconds. if there is absolutely no life but you have spark and compression look at timing. If there is life at this point, take your carb in for a bath in carb cleaner (perfect results in a ultrasonic bath). Check your jets that they are clean and that your carb is jetted for your altitude. Air screw should be set at around 1 1/2 turns as a universal setting, and the idle screw set at a good idle(while running) And if it's a twin carb make sure that they are timed together. With the following you should atleast see some form of life... If not pm me after you do the following...​

Top Bottom