20 tooth top gear on E-tec results

bighiter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went to a 20 tooth top gear on my 800 etec everest 154 and just got out for the first time in the hills to test it this weekend.

Before, running stock 19/45 i would see approx 41-42 mph track speeds.

Now with the 20t i am seeing almost 51-52 mph track speeds.

The pulls were done on the same hill ( in front of the cabin in blue lake) with the faster track speeds happening during looser and better snow conditions.

This is all stock clutching, but i am convinced i have one of the few etec's/xp that is not blowing belts since mine still looks new with 480 miles. Clutches are hot but what can you do without floating it?

Just my observations, id be curious to see what other people have tried on their etec and how it works.

m/c 1000

Reaction score
my 1200 also has 60km track speed in deep snow .wonder if this would fix mine .was told to gear down. will pull away from 800 on trail.

bighiter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gearing is a cheap option to try.

I see no downfalls really unless people start to burn belts, but in my opinion that is not a gearing problem, it is an allignment problem. You want the most speed possible, so i'm thinking of floating the secondary and going to a 21 tooth top.

slednecks11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know on my dads o7 we put a floating secondary on it was made my doo-doctor it seemed to help im not sure if they have one for a xp im sure they should have something to help with not burning belts

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just might have to try this. Thanks!

You have 21/49 2.33 to 1 gear ratio on a 163
He went to 20/45 2.25 to one gearing up from a 2.36 ratio 19/45 this wont give you a 10 mph gain in track speed, i'm leaning towards a change in snow conditions. You could try a 22/49 2.22 to 1 if you want, but he said in "looser and better snow condition".

Canadian JR

Reaction score
If you are riding your stock etec on hard pack or minimal snow the stock clutching is good and gearing up will give you more track speed but once you get into some deep snow you will lose track speed and your clutch temps will go through the roof.
My summit x 154 etec came with 21-49 stock gearing and when I geared it down to 19-49 I gained 2-3 kmh track speed climbing a hill with 2ft of fresh. It is about 5kmh slower on the top end but if you ride in the deep you will want to gear down and not up but stock clutching is not the best in the deep.

bighiter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like i said... better snow conditions.

Still saw and felt a gain as compared to the stock 19/45 gearing. 10 mph is just an observation seen on the speedo.

Don't beleive me? try it yourself.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dunno I think 47 /48 MPH track speed in 5ft of pow is pretty good with my etec, 2-3ft of pow i'm always over 50, but i'm 170lbs without gear. I'm running 21/51 in my 09 ptec and didn't gain any climbing track speed but it maintains it better.

bighiter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im a bit heavier than you, and by the time im all geared up with tools im probably at 230 (bag is way to heavy, but can't find anything to leave home without).

I know my buddy at 165 pounds hops on my sled and can go all over the mountain.

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
21/51 2.42 to 1
20/45 2.25 to 1
20/49 2.45 to 1
I was running 20/45 in my 154 when I had it, and I didn't gain or loose track speed but made it snappier geared lower.
With my gear on and full tunnel bag with survival gear i add about 25 lbs to my weight.
I find it funny that BRP geared down the 154's to 21/49 or 19/45 stock. 20/45 pulled good on the older p/tec 154 and with the added power of the etec, I wonder how good they would pull 21/45 which was stock on the 154 ptec. i'm leaving the 21/49 in my etec 163 it's working good with that gear set, or until I find a good clutch kit that requires a gear ratio change to compliment it.

bighiter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was thinking about trying a 21 tooth top, but next year a timbersled and 162 3" are in order, so ill wait for clutching and gearing till then.

Seasons coming to and end for me in a few weeks.

drop the hammer

Reaction score
I don't doubt you may have seen a change in track speed, however it could not be from a minor regearing. Remember that this is a cvt and not a gearbox, any gear change and the clutches adjust for it, so gearing up like you did will just put belt lower in primary and higher in secondary as well as not as far up your primary and secondary ramp profile. Also your weights will now not be as far from center of rotation, thus will be "acting" lighter. Lots of thing change when you regear a Cvt and that's why some guys see improvements either way...but not 10 mph, something else caused that change. But hey, if you like it and it feels better then keep it and keep the rest of us informed on future performance of it.

bighiter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was in heavy wet snow this week and weekend in revy and my track speed was back down around 44. So i guess i did net big gains like i had thought but the sled climbs awesome and performs well.

Still have yet to blow a belt, so i dont think the gearing change hurt.

Top Bottom