2 Place open trailer Security? Some ideas

Labradorian

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well Im moving to Ontario and will be driving my truck and 2 place trailer.............quad in the back of the truck and 2 sleds on the trailer. Other than sleeping in the truck :d , I need some secuity while Im at a motel.......

Im Just looking at the best way to slow the theives down..........(yes I know someone is going to pipe in and say if they want it they will take it...............well..........let's make it as difficult as possible to do so aye.)

I have a receiver lock on the ball........Heavy duty chain(cutting strength of 30000lbs) and lock combo to lock the trailer to the truck.

What would be the best way to lock the sleds to the trailer.

- Heavy chain and large locks?
- Some kind of alarm system?
- Tie a mad donkey to the trailer? :d

Ideas?

Thanks!!

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well Im moving to Ontario and will be driving my truck and 2 place trailer.............quad in the back of the truck and 2 sleds on the trailer. Other than sleeping in the truck :d , I need some secuity while Im at a motel.......

Im Just looking at the best way to slow the theives down..........(yes I know someone is going to pipe in and say if they want it they will take it...............well..........let's make it as difficult as possible to do so aye.)

I have a receiver lock on the ball........Heavy duty chain(cutting strength of 30000lbs) and lock combo to lock the trailer to the truck.

What would be the best way to lock the sleds to the trailer.

- Heavy chain and large locks?
- Some kind of alarm system?
- Tie a mad donkey to the trailer? :d

Ideas?

Thanks!!

where are ya moving too in ontario ,,,if ya only have to stay one night on hte road should be easy to pick a low risk crime city

Labradorian

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
where are ya moving too in ontario ,,,if ya only have to stay one night on hte road should be easy to pick a low risk crime city

Petawawa, ON...........3496kms alone..........more than one night....:d

You are right..........one night in Brandon, MB, then dryden, ON with relatives........and perhaps another in Sault Ste Marie.............not sure yet. Depends if I go through northern Ontario or along the great lakes.

You are right, pick small places...........but still have to be secure

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Park at the local Cop Shop and get a cab to a motel .I would think they would let ya,,,,,less work for them to do

Labradorian

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Park at the local Cop Shop and get a cab to a motel .I would think they would let ya,,,,,less work for them to do

bingo! ha ha.........give them some lip! and perhaps get a free over nighter in the tank lol

Labradorian

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just big chains or cable is all id worry about park under a light maybe.

thanks!! Im thinking along the lines of some big chains.........

I can't seem to find anyone willing to sell me a MAD Donkey.......to tie to the trailer over night..........:d:d

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks!! Im thinking along the lines of some big chains.........

I can't seem to find anyone willing to sell me a MAD Donkey.......to tie to the trailer over night..........:d:d

Im sure quadtrash would give you the ex to replace the monkey.....i did some reserch on the trailer security i have a link on another thread, also i remember a security thread before and someone using a big rottie, but i like the monkey :d:d

Labradorian

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im sure quadtrash would give you the ex to replace the monkey.....i did some reserch on the trailer security i have a link on another thread, also i remember a security thread before and someone using a big rottie, but i like the monkey :d:d

Hey maybe you are on the something.................A mad Monkey?............sure would be easyier to carry along than a donkey..........but getting the crazy monkey back into his cage would sure be a Biotch! :d:d:Cla:

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I drilled a couple holes in the trailer deck to pass the big a$$ chain through. Wrap the frame and ramp a couple times (yes, they will try to steal ramps too). Through the skids and a big a$$ lock. I also have the Superclamp tie downs for the front that lock the skis down. Trailer is chained to truck, receiver lock too. Whew...that's a lot of locks! They would need to spend a lot of time and effort trying to get my sleds off. Would give me enough time to get my socks on and big stick for the beating.

Junior Highmark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wrap a big wire around it attached to the chain, so if they manage to cut the chain, they will cut the wire, and if the circuit is broken, put a big alarm on it that triggers, like 5 loud speakers connected to a siren!

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol dont park at the cop shop in brandon my old boss used to live beside there
was broken into three times in a year

in brandon there is a few motels on the trans canada that you can kinda hide your units

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
F*&Kin Genius!! ..............why didn't I think of that............I guess Polaris covers would have the same affect too :d Kidding guys.......

no if your stopping in brandon your going to want to put ski doo covers on them

75% of the sleds down there are polaris

them manitobans are smart ya know

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We use a 5/16 aircraft cable....when we bought it, the demo was a guy using bolt cutters, it took the 3' handle ones and some efort but it did cut. But since then my son came up with the idea, now that they make cordless grinders, with zip disc in them you could be throw a cable, chain or lock pretty fast....

A bit noisy was my quick response.....so we tried it on a 3/8 logging chain.....ha it took a very long 4 seconds for him to cut through both sides of the chain.....

Good luck......like you said if the Ass hole squad spots them and wants them....

Labradorian

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wrap a big wire around it attached to the chain, so if they manage to cut the chain, they will cut the wire, and if the circuit is broken, put a big alarm on it that triggers, like 5 loud speakers connected to a siren!

I have seen this sort of setup...........wraping a wire around my buddies quads................and if the wire was cut the alarm went off............it was wired into the truck.

Apex162

Reaction score
I had a 5/8 or 3/4" cable made by a shop long enough to go through sleds,trailer all the way to my rear axle. Use a heavy cable lock to go around axle and through tire, locks everything and truck also.

Top Bottom