2 melted recoils in one night

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know this doesn't belong here but I'm hoping for a quick answer.

i have gone through 4 recoils this season. The first one I figure melted cause there was no heat tape on it, 2nd one I chalked up to factory defect, 3rd one lasted about three months then melted tonight, the 4th one lasted about 2 hours.

why the hell is this happening?

sled is a 02 800 summit and runs great

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know this doesn't belong here but I'm hoping for a quick answer.

i have gone through 4 recoils this season. The first one I figure melted cause there was no heat tape on it, 2nd one I chalked up to factory defect, 3rd one lasted about three months then melted tonight, the 4th one lasted about 2 hours.

why the hell is this happening?

sled is a 02 800 summit and runs great
That sled ate em like halloween candy. Never figured out why..:confused:

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No can, everything stock.

Could exhaust leak be from where the exhaust goes into y pipe and muffler

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it was getting the pipe/can so hot it would start melting chit. Buddy melted the spare spark plugs right out of the holders on the oil tank. Couldn't believe it!

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My old 02 800 ate them to... just make sure to get all the chunkies out or itll take out your stator.

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you find a solution?

I've had it with these dam recoils, I think I'm just gonna do the cord around the clutch to start my sled from now on

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe that was a fix BRP came out with. I remember selling a few now that you mention it.

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sold the store in 09' Sorry. I can try and look for a part number for you on Monday? Or try a dealer sooner if you want?

Ill let you know, goon try allied distributors tomorrow. Is brp the only one who makes the vented ring?

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember removing the stock suitcase and putting cans on and wrapping the can with header wrap, this seemed to help a lot

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe that was a fix BRP came out with. I remember selling a few now that you mention it.
were the bad ones the recoil that had the plastic post? I remember an update to a steel post for some reason...?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by posts?
the reel and dog mechanism mount on top of a post, my '01 came with a plastic post moulded into the housing that all that stuff goes on, and it had melted. the newer model had a steel post, pressed into the housing from the outside if I remember right.

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the reel and dog mechanism mount on top of a post, my '01 came with a plastic post moulded into the housing that all that stuff goes on, and it had melted. the newer model had a steel post, pressed into the housing from the outside if I remember right.

Ive had both and melted both.

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
image.jpg

Top Bottom