1999 Polaris Indy Lite Mountain Mod for son - need advice on boards

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guys. Have skid, track, tunnel extention and skis. Just looking for different (higher) handlebars and we are a go.

Boards on this thing are horrible and slippery. First little jump Owen (my son) took pre-mods - feet slipped off and he was in the rhubarb!

I seem to remember that you could get some plastic boards ends that made them less slippery. But there are no holes to evacuate snow - and Owen (son) is bound and determined that he is coming up to Hunter's this winter to try the powfer. Did anyone make board inserts that would fit an Indy Lite?

Thanks for the help

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guys. Have skid, track, tunnel extention and skis. Just looking for different (higher) handlebars and we are a go.

Boards on this thing are horrible and slippery. First little jump Owen (my son) took pre-mods - feet slipped off and he was in the rhubarb!

I seem to remember that you could get some plastic boards ends that made them less slippery. But there are no holes to evacuate snow - and Owen (son) is bound and determined that he is coming up to Hunter's this winter to try the powfer. Did anyone make board inserts that would fit an Indy Lite?

Thanks for the help

Have you thought about going the cheap route and just cutting out holes for the snow to evacuate and then just putting self tapping screws into the floorboards for grip? There might be something out there that would fit but you may need to try a couple different styles till you find the one that fits correctly.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are flimsy enough as is - so want to try it right the first time! This is going to go through a couple of kids.
Understandable.
Well if you can't find something that fits, I would just get some 3/16" aluminum flat bar wide enough to cover the bottomside of the boards, trim to fit, rivet them on and then do the mods I mentioned above. This should retain enough strength to allow for cutting holes. You could even make your own board stiffeners if you find a guy to bend the aluminum so it goes up the side of the tunnel. All depends on how involved you want to get in the project.

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would go that route and add three inch cleats. Cat has some in there catalogue and they rivit on and have teeth for traction. They prob are 3/4" thick and 3/4" wide 3" long

motomike450r

Reaction score
I would go that route and add three inch cleats. Cat has some in there catalogue and they rivit on and have teeth for traction. They prob are 3/4" thick and 3/4" wide 3" long
+1
Being that I have some time while it's raining I am attempting to fab something out of some aluminum 90 deg. angle pieces. First one was a bit of a junk show but I believe I have it figured out now.
Some pics:

Attachments

• boards#1.jpg
    boards#1.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 141
  • boards#2.jpg
    boards#2.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 137
  • boards #3.jpg
    boards #3.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 138

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are those running boards similar to the zx boards,,if so xxxmodrods has monster style boards for the zx

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Years ago, we took 1" X 1/2" X 1/8" thick aluminum channel and drilled 5/8" holes in it, spaced 1/4" apart. We then cut the channel in half right through the middle of all the holes. This would leave you two strips with a half inch flange for riveting to the running boards and "teeth" about 3/8" high. Cut to length, rivet on, and your done.

Done fishing. Let's go sledding !!

Top Bottom