1998 Summit 670X nneds to breath

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have only owned this sled a short while....we were checking over and freshening up.........The sled is all stock, the question of the day is....

What has been down to make this sled breath better????

The filter material is course ( went and looked at the new stuff, it was the same) and the diameter of the air intake sees way to small....would like more air, but not just from under the hood.....

Any ideas would be appriated, why re-invent

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have only owned this sled a short while....we were checking over and freshening up.........The sled is all stock, the question of the day is....

What has been down to make this sled breath better????

The filter material is course ( went and looked at the new stuff, it was the same) and the diameter of the air intake sees way to small....would like more air, but not just from under the hood.....

Any ideas would be appriated, why re-invent

How far are you willing to go? We can give you some ideas from mild to wild.

Personally I removed the headlight, airbox, screens, wiring, gauges and made some cold air intakes. I have also made a mesh hood for the s-chassis which really lets it breath better. Its all about what you are comfortable with.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Modman ...any help is appreciated....

It's my son's and he's on a somewhat limited budget....J
ust looking for more air...for now.
He's thinkng he'll look at exhaust next.....
We,ve raced 2-stokes with wheels so used to jetting....

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Modman ...any help is appreciated....

It's my son's and he's on a somewhat limited budget....J
ust looking for more air...for now.
He's thinkng he'll look at exhaust next.....
We,ve raced 2-stokes with wheels so used to jetting....

I built my cold air intakes for about $100 and my hood for about $120.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would be interested in the cold air intake......routing and materils maybe pictures....

We ride at night a fair bit on the farm and in the foot hills...so dont want to loose the lights.....

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally, I'd leave the intake/exhaust alone. The X's had very little to be gained from pipes/etc. I'd spend the money on clutching and chassis. A 144 or 151 track makes will make it into a new sled. A cat roller is a nice addition also, or at the very least get the Goodwin teflon buttons for the secondary.

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally, I'd leave the intake/exhaust alone. The X's had very little to be gained from pipes/etc. I'd spend the money on clutching and chassis. A 144 or 151 track makes will make it into a new sled. A cat roller is a nice addition also, or at the very least get the Goodwin teflon buttons for the secondary.

Yes,depending on what type of riding you plan on doing, Change the ramps and pins in the primary.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This sled has recently been in Valemont and McBride as well has whitecourt and a run a month ago up the Iron horse Trail Smokey Lake to St Paul round trip then next day St Paul to Elk Point round trip......

Last night he but on 15 miles in the ditches, fields and lakes around our farm....

We think it works very well, just looking to freshen everything up [B]and thought the air intake looked lacking for volume. [/B]

So far we took the carbs apart cleaned and re assembled, the primary clutch was done just before we bought it but we did clean them up, checked alginment ordered new shoes for the secondary, but a new set of plugs check all the bots ....found the lower steering colume bracket bolts starting to come loose....changed the gear box oil...greased and oiled everying we could find....

Definatly will be looking for a longer track setup, if anyone has a 144" they want to sell????

Top Bottom