1998 summit 583 idle issues

Kyleh

Reaction score
So I have an interesting problem with my sled, a 1998 summit 583. It seems if i lift the back end of my sled to simulate a downhill angle, my idle drops about 1000 rpms. as I am an avid mountain sledder, this is going to cause a lot of issues for me. so far this year ive cleaned and reset the carburetors, cleaned and rebuilt the fuel pump, new spark plugs and caps, new fuel lines ( I installed a fuel shut of valve).
What could be causing this issue? Ive got the mountain itch and cannot go yet grrrrr :mad:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I have an interesting problem with my sled, a 1998 summit 583. It seems if i lift the back end of my sled to simulate a downhill angle, my idle drops about 1000 rpms. as I am an avid mountain sledder, this is going to cause a lot of issues for me. so far this year ive cleaned and reset the carburetors, cleaned and rebuilt the fuel pump, new spark plugs and caps, new fuel lines ( I installed a fuel shut of valve).
What could be causing this issue? Ive got the mountain itch and cannot go yet grrrrr :mad:
the old S-chassis 'doo was renowned for this issue, if you park them facing downhill they would flood out every time. I always just kept burping the throttle as I went downhill to keep it cleaned out for when you had to mash the throttle to avoid the resulting bog. the shutoff will prevent it from flooding while parking front end downhill, but I'm not sure there is a fix for the problem you mention. nature of the beast.

Kyleh

Reaction score
ive always had the flooding problem, but it seems like its substantially worse this year. would the flooding cause an instant drop of 1000 + rpm?
im only lifting the back of the sled a couple feet, with is basically a pretty minor grade hill

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive always had the flooding problem, but it seems like its substantially worse this year. would the flooding cause an instant drop of 1000 + rpm?
im only lifting the back of the sled a couple feet, with is basically a pretty minor grade hill
you might want to pull the carbs again and possibly replace the float needle seats or float needles themselves. they could be leaking fuel past and exaggerating the problem.

Kyleh

Reaction score
you might want to pull the carbs again and possibly replace the float needle seats or float needles themselves. they could be leaking fuel past and exaggerating the problem.

I think one of the needles was holding up, i think i have most of the problem fixed. thanks

Top Bottom