1997 Pontiac Firebird Anti-theft

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine gave his old car (read title) to his mom after buying a new to him 2010 Camaro:d. Now his mom is having an issue with the antitheft...:mad:...car won't start. She is using the chipped key, and has tried to "arm" and "disarm" the system with the key fob, also removed the battery connections, and a couple other . I am not near the car, and I have not tried anything to get it to actually disarm. Chryslers are simple, but have no clue:confused: about how to "reset" the system on a GM! Please can anyone give some insight....Thanks!

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
try this:
Ok then, from your desription and the

make/model/year of the car you have there,
it appears you've reset the VATS.

The car's security immobilizer
reader at the key switch
does not recognise the coded
chip in the ignition key any longer.

You can try to put the key
in the ignition, turn to the on position &
wait at least 10 mins like that.
(Do not turn off the key switch before
10 minutes as elapsed!)

Once done, the key is re-programmed and
should allow the fuel injectors to work again.
The car would start now if corrected.

In some cases, the VATS (GM'S VEHICLE ANTI THEFT SYSTEM)
will re learn the code this way, and will then
allow the restart, however if this does not work,
then you can simply tow it to any GM vehicle dealer
to have the service department re code it.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Buddy just went through this ended up getting towed to the stealership was a blown fuse in the anti theft causing it not to start

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
try this:
Ok then, from your desription and the

make/model/year of the car you have there,
it appears you've reset the VATS.

The car's security immobilizer
reader at the key switch
does not recognise the coded
chip in the ignition key any longer.

You can try to put the key
in the ignition, turn to the on position &
wait at least 10 mins like that.
(Do not turn off the key switch before
10 minutes as elapsed!)

Once done, the key is re-programmed and
should allow the fuel injectors to work again.
The car would start now if corrected.

In some cases, the VATS (GM'S VEHICLE ANTI THEFT SYSTEM)
will re learn the code this way, and will then
allow the restart, however if this does not work,
then you can simply tow it to any GM vehicle dealer
to have the service department re code it.

Thanks!! She apparently did this and it didn't work....I googled it and read the exact same thing....hahaha

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy just went through this ended up getting towed to the stealership was a blown fuse in the anti theft causing it not to start

Yeha that is the last thing she wants/can do is take it to the stealership!! Thanks for the heads up Murm!!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya but some times it takes 3 try's..... crank engine till it runs and stalls, let site for at least 10min , crank again if stalls let sit again for 10 min , crank again if stalls let it sit again for 10 min.... i have had it take 3 times to get redone

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
ya but some times it takes 3 try's..... Crank engine till it runs and stalls, let site for at least 10min , crank again if stalls let sit again for 10 min , crank again if stalls let it sit again for 10 min.... I have had it take 3 times to get redone

i agree...... Have had to relearn many vehicles that were towed into our shop, and quite often takes at least 3 tries........

lbartels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a girlfriend who drove a 01 gran am. Turn the key forward to the ON posistion for 10min. Pull the key out for 1 min. Then proceed to start that bi-otch as usual.

Or take it to the stealership as mentioned. I got the above info from a mechanic at Don Wheaton. Worked for me.

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks gents for the input. Was up early this morning and yep apparently that is the only way, other than what murm said about a possible fuse. Gonna go out this mornin to help her out!

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so just came back, worked on it this afternoon pulling fuses and relays tried the key on thing to try making it relearn....no start situation at all!! As in the fuel pump won't come on nor will the starter do anything. And I read that the "VAT" system is supposed to let the engine start then cut off the injectors...and it doesn't even engage the starter OR the fuel pump. ALL lights work, dash and exterior, everything functions as normal aside from not starting. Had the fuel pump relay tested, and came back good, even tried starting from neutral (automatic) and nothing. Stumped as the fuel pump is not coming on AND the starter is not making any noise at all:confused: She doesn't really have the money to take it to the stealership, when she called them today they of course just said bring it in, but mentioned that it was a possibility that the ECM was fried...could it be the ECM?? Hoping someone here may have experienced this...any insight is appreciated!!

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it's not even turning over but you still have power it sounds like a fusable link is blown you should be able to jump the starter from the pos on the solenoid to the pos cable which should kick in the starter and start the vehicle if the key is on

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it's not even turning over but you still have power it sounds like a fusable link is blown you should be able to jump the starter from the pos on the solenoid to the pos cable which should kick in the starter and start the vehicle if the key is on

I thought that too...but the fuel pump is not coming on either??!!?! LOL

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would say 99 % not the ecm..... it will still crank with out the ecm....

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm going to guess it's the ignition itself, like where the key goes in.....pop the cover off and see if it smells like burnt plastic where the wires come out. the almost same symptoms occurred on my '98 GMC truck, lights and everything would come on, but no fuel pump and no start. a buddy that is a GM mechanic said it was fairly common, I took the steering column plastic off and wiggled the plastic ignition block and it started. worth a look see.....

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
THanks Teeroy, similar thing happened with my 95 Jeep Cherokee!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
THanks Teeroy, similar thing happened with my 95 Jeep Cherokee!
when it first happened on my truck, it just shut off driving down the road one day. was strange because the battery icon was on the display, but no motor light or other symbols that usually come up on the dash when the ignition is on but engine not running. then the missing lights would all come on, and it would start again. then it wouldn't do it again for a month or so, and one day just die going down the road. figured out it was ignition/column related when it did it one day and I angrily banged on the steering wheel with my fist and the lights came on again....eureka! lol....

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok jumped the starter today...starter works fine, plenty of fuel pressure and you CAN hear the fuel pump come on very faint. With all the gizmos dingin and the headlights going up and all that crap, it's hard to hear the dang pump. The last thing it must be is the "VAT" system, or the ignition itself, apparently it is VERY common for the older GM's ignition cylinder wires to break rendering the vehicle unstartable. Any thoughts, gotta be the ignition?!?!

JBDoo

Reaction score
Those VATS systems can take more than 10 minutes to reset. Put a battery charger on it and leave the key in the on position for at least a half hour and see if that works.

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those VATS systems can take more than 10 minutes to reset. Put a battery charger on it and leave the key in the on position for at least a half hour and see if that works.

Yepp been there done that..:)..a whole day the other day she sat in her garage. She did the ten minute wait time, the 30 minute wait time, and even an hour minute wait time. :confused: LOL She has my charger on it trickle charging @ 2Amps...

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was broken wires in the ignition for the VAT system. Tested the resistor on the key, then bought resistors to completely bypass the wires...car starts without hesitation! :d:cool: Thanks for the input it was much appreciated!!

Top Bottom