1996 Ski Doo 670 flooding in the mag side

TJGDragon

Reaction score
I have a older 96 670 with twin black magic pipes with 44 mm carbs. It ran good last year but the recoil was screwed so I took it to a mechanic to get it fixed and check it over. He called me and said that the mag side was running at a different rpm then the pto side so he looked into it and said that the fuel pump needed replaced and the rotery valve was put in backwards so after replacing all that it ran good until I got it home I went out for one ride and ran good so I took it out today and it was a different sled it seems that the mag side is getting to much fuel and will only run on 1 cylynder. We checked the spark and it was good and we even tried replacing the spark plug with new ones a couple times. We did notice that were the fuel reg is on the tank it was loose. Does anyone know what could be wrong???

cdnemsguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems strange but if it was a crank seal, the problem side would be lean. Either you are over jetted and the Mag side has a bad seal, not likely, or the rotary valve may be out a couiple of splines. I havent worked on the rotary valves in a long time but I still have the timing wheel for them. Sorry but this is just my guess, dont know for certain but it is where I would start.

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got lost when you said that the mag and pto are running different rpm and the rotary was in backwards, that's not possible.
Sounds like the mag side main fell out of the carb

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got lost when you said that the mag and pto are running different rpm and the rotary was in backwards, that's not possible.
Sounds like the mag side main fell out of the carb

Agreed that's what I thought too there is no backwards on the rotary. And 2 cylinders can't run at a different rpm impossible. Like nytoman said check out the carb that's were your problem lies

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or you have lost compression on the mag side and it cant burn the fuel with no compression

TJGDragon

Reaction score
Ya I didnt think that was right either I was just repeating what this so called mechanic has said. So there is no right way the rotary valve goes?

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have to time it to the engine,there is a timing mark on the block.You need to put the engine at top dead center on the mag side and line the rotary valve plate with the mark.It's easier with the degree wheel.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes what timbo said but there is no actual "backwards" way to install it.

Top Bottom