1996 polaris 500 EFI, bog on take off.

javs59

Reaction score
hi guys! ive got an issue with my sled, it runs and rives great, in the process of changing bearings and all but on take off she has a hard time to start mooving, infact it bogs right down almost as if on a dirt bike being in to high of a gear on start. clutch engages, cleaned it at the bigining of the year, she has libed a rough life, could this just be at the cause of that? all the help i can get is apreciated, but its hard to work on her at the moment because its cold and i dont have a heated garage. but all help is noted and will be tried when shes warm out!:confused:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check the easy stuff first. Could have a stretched belt keeping it in too high of gear range on engagement, so change it out. Is the motor bolted down properly? That could also put you in the wrong gear at engagement. Clutch center to center distance and offset correct? Had some trouble keeping the throttle position sensor set correctly on my old RXL EFI, but can't remember what symptoms that caused.

Good luck

whiteface

Reaction score
moyiesledhed is correct check the most obvious and easy stuff, but my guess would be a stretched belt that is why it having hard time engaging to switch gear.

javs59

Reaction score
put on my spare belt to see if it helped and it still seems to bog.. i also started to change the bearing on the drive shaft now qhich means i wont be able to drive until im done, but i will check all the mounting points well im at it. but just out of curiosity would a clutch rebuild and some drive chain adjustments help? id like to get this thing to jump off at 4500rpms. and i do know my injectors do need to be replaced and or cleaned.

Poo time

Reaction score
If the easy things check out ok I would definately check out the primary clutch. You might as well clean and replace worn parts in your secondary clutch while you are at it.

Top Bottom